This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:22 am A MISSION at slot 9? There's gonna be a lot of nouns in this set.
Or a whole Lotta Objectives!

:P
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
It is a smaller set (36 cards), but there did need to be plenty of slots needed for personnel to support the HQ themes. Unlike The Final Frontier, you don’t get a blanket “2 free”, there needs to be some structure to your deck building by having the right sort of personnel reporting…
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:22 am A MISSION at slot 9? There's gonna be a lot of nouns in this set.
I was really surprised at how many [CF] personnel Decipher didn't touch.

-crp

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:26 am
I was really surprised at how many [CF] personnel Decipher didn't touch.

-crp
I wouldn't be. There are 65 Decipher era [CF] personnel total, from just over 6 movies and flashbacks? An average of 11 personnel per movie means that there have to be several Named characters who haven't been carded yet.

(I may have been toying with a [CF] [Fed] [Kli] [1E-DQ] deck and had the numbers more firmly in mind...)

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The 2 new cards have nice pictures. :D

Also cool that mixed-themed klingons get more high council universal guys. :) Edit: not so cool if they do not just add to the free play pool but to the download pool with the new Guess who is coming for dinner that also has even more options.
Last edited by ShipNerd on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I dislike Guess Who is Coming for Dinner for 2 reasons:
1. Again personal downloads with multiple targets, just choosing the personnel one need to solve a dilemma seems boring to me, i´d rather saw other downloads with multiple options (AMS, Pike downloads Vina etc.) be more limited/reduced. It also makes larger decks more important, because then you got a spare General Chang etc. if your first downloaded is killed or something.
2. Compinability with ship report with crew. Bridagier Kerla for Adzebur or Chancellor Gorkon to have a Fed Treaty. Use Shuttlepods and Ecort Vessel or Full Complement of Shuttles to U.S.S. Voyager emerging from U.S.S. Intrepid / Bareil/49 Dom Peringon: for 2 free plays ( [CF] + high council) + 2 people report with crew via shuttle (Janeway, Tuvok, Kes...) OR shuttlepod (reporting number one and universal navigation pike personnel downloadable by the pike card). So 5 cards per turn. Or 2 free plays + Tóng. It might not be stronger then ds9 alliance since they get extreme amounts of draws. Older themeds like here by invitation seem more and more useless. Its also quite convenient that the free reports and the report with crew can happen at the same location, so no logistics in moving around, while being save at the homeworld. Draws might require more seeds then ds9 alliance but still feasible: Holodeck Door+Holoprogram + SECURITY download Worf and Jadzia + ASP Sergey and Helena, Seed/download Miraname and get Captain Kirk with Pike card + Tom Paris & stuff. Get a 6th card play by downloading Admiral Picard etc. with Holodeck Door. Divergent History is also an Option on headquarters, with ASP and/or AMS OR by shuttlebod report with crew [MQ] navigation dudes. I seem to be the only one that wants the game slower / with more turns, not faster by every expansion :(. Already played in the time where one could win in 1 turn (once even before my opponent had his first turn, it was no fun for either side).

I love more the Blaze of Glory time draw/play 1-3 cards per turn without much personnel download, more turns to interact. I would so love it when factions where equal and everyone could play what they want without sacrificing the ability to score meaningfully results. I would so love if the game was interactive and not downloading solitair and mass reporting in a few turns. i would so love more simplicity. I would so love dilemmas being not destroyable by a simple download. i would so love for the game being that way it was in the golden area. To bad no one seees and uses my expertise for that. I pointed out manliv, continuing mission, when I was in playtesting (before they eventually became errated). And cards like access archives in the message board and grouptherapy+TOS and no one listens until after the game environment is floated by it and world champions of manliv/cc etc. decks showed it. Then it was errataed. to those who refuse to listen to me in the first place. Do you wish I stop pointing that stuff out before it enters the meta? What do you need to distinguished quality statements from non-qualified statements? Do you wish to have the gameenivornment that way?

Well, Friendly matches are my way to go nowadays. Because I love a medium pace, themed decks of different types, interaction and my opponent having a chance to win, its more fore to me and surely also to others. :)

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
ShipNerd wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:40 am I dislike Guess Who is Coming for Dinner for 2 reasons:
So the thing I think you are overlooking with what you said is that to accomplish the super turbo speed you’d leave yourself with like 6 dilemma. The balance is achieved in the choice of how you’d like to stop your opponent.

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 am
ShipNerd wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:40 am I dislike Guess Who is Coming for Dinner for 2 reasons:
So the thing I think you are overlooking with what you said is that to accomplish the super turbo speed you’d leave yourself with like 6 dilemma. The balance is achieved in the choice of how you’d like to stop your opponent.
I know what speed i can accomplish and now many dilemmas i still have. The reason I dislike that card and other cards in earlier expansions and cards in decipher endtime is in deed the amount of plays and draws, nor did i use only 6 dilemmas with TOS or DS9 Alliance (or in the deck with which i won in 1 turn in decipher time), also the new card allows for more then 6 dilemmas too, in all those cases like 16-18 dilemmas. I am sure the thing that you overlook is my competence in detecting powerful cards, the ability to win with those decks and my knowledge of how many dilemmas i had (and would had in this case) and cannot comprehend that i did and still could build fast pace powerfull decks.
But feel free to have your own opinion, you are entitled to that, i simply consider mine qualified and true. Also, feel free to like many draws/plays. I don´t. been there worn the t-shirt.

A more fun playenvironment:
I see no longer a point beating inexperienced player, it´s ok to be inexperienced in a 25 year game with 5000 cards; playing in an environment where both have a chance is usually more fun for both. OTF with free deck building, is too complex for many, so i offer friendly matches where i intentionally build weaker decks of weaker themes, depending on the level the other player like. It gives me the chance to play themeds, i havn´t and others to do the same, or learn the game or win. Also, again, playing 1-3 cards per turn creates more turns and more time to actually do interaction, instead of just reporting and solving, which was around Blaze of Glory and playerbases liked it more in my experience. Currently i play E.g. with local friends of mine a 4-Mission each map with 2 draws/plays, as kind of an warp speed variant. They like it much more because of simpler gameplay and that they can win against me as decks are pre-constructed.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
ShipNerd wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:53 am
stressedoutatumc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 am
I know what speed i can accomplish and now many dilemmas i still have. The reason I dislike that card and other cards in earlier expansions and cards in decipher endtime is in deed the amount of plays and draws, nor did i use only 6 dilemmas with TOS or DS9 Alliance (or in the deck with which i won in 1 turn in decipher time), also the new card allows for more then 6 dilemmas too, in all those cases like 16-18 dilemmas. I am sure the thing that you overlook is my competence in detecting powerful cards, the ability to win with those decks and my knowledge of how many dilemmas i had (and would had in this case) and cannot comprehend that i did and still could build fast pace powerfull decks.
But feel free to have your own opinion, you are entitled to that, i simply consider mine qualified and true. Also, feel free to like many draws/plays. I don´t. been there worn the t-shirt.
I think you are misunderstanding. Each one of the mechanics you were talking about in your original post are fast and are powerful, but to work them all into the same deck as you are suggesting (as it would be too much isn't really a worry. In my opinion, it isn't a worry nor is the new set because of the seed card cost involved. It all sounds like too many card plays and too many draws when they are smushed together, but a deck that has all those mechanics would eat into the seed card pool or simply couldn't given OTF rules. Just something to consider.

Secondly, I don't know if the answer is slower. I think mechanics should be balanced, but I'd challenge anyone to play a game of st: ccg without the speed boosts of the modern meta and say they are having fun reporting 1 person then drawing 1 card. I actually did that last year with our play group and it was less than fun.

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:43 pm
ShipNerd wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:53 am E.g. with local friends of mine a 4-Mission each map with 2 draws/plays, as kind of an warp speed variant. They like it much more because of simpler gameplay and that they can win against me as decks are pre-constructed.
I think you are misunderstanding. ... because of the seed card cost involved...
1. I indeed consider the seed costs feasable. But I am not discussing and stop answering to prevent an infinity loop. 8) 2. My decks where fun for everyone who tried them so far. :) You are free not try them.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]