First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Finally was able to read this. Impressive! At first impression, it's likely a better reflection of what the actual current action rules are than what the actual current action rules say.

If Rules decided, at the end of its current work on the action rules, to just keep the current rules but explain them better, this text -- or something close to it -- might well be what got adopted. That's a great strength.

Another great strength is how clearly this document highlights some of the pitfalls in the current action rules. Even I was making "1E Face" in the middle of the group actions entry, and that "number of cards in a uniform manner" rule is a true doozy. Yet that, or something quite close to it, appears to be the current rules of the game, and we're all just glossing it over.

The "post-resolution" window is essential and I'm glad to see it here. A proposal AllenGould made about a decade ago included the same concept, and rediscovering that proposal is what got me excited about messing around with actions. It's taken a long time, but I've also been sold on "suspends play means valid response to anything" as a sustainable path forward for suspends-play timing.
* If you are tasked with discarding multiple cards (e.g., Quark's Bar), but only have one card in your hand, you would discard that card.
*If a player would [Flip] [Flip] [Flip] but they don't have enough tactics left in their draw deck, you would still [Flip] until you can't.
I'm not actually sure I agree with this (under current rules), but I found your proposal's way of handling and clarifying the issue helpful.

Thank you for your efforts!
Here is an attempted rewrite

Energy Vortex
What would you do if Design instructed you to rewrite Energy Vortex -- on a template using up to four lines of gametext, max--with the dual goals of eliminating as much of its Glossary entry as possible while maintaining the closest gameplay possible?

I imagine getting to rewrite the card itself would make the Glossary entry much less difficult.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:59 pm What would you do if Design instructed you to rewrite Energy Vortex -- on a template using up to four lines of gametext, max--with the dual goals of eliminating as much of its Glossary entry as possible while maintaining the closest gameplay possible?

I imagine getting to rewrite the card itself would make the Glossary entry much less difficult.
Here is my attempt which should fit on four lines.
Energy Vortex (revised) wrote:Return any non-Interrupt just played by opponent to their hand, effectively cancelling it; its costs remain paid. As consolation, opponent may immediately play a different card (for free).
This would be my updated glossary entry:

Energy Vortex

Energy Vortex may still be played on a cards that can't be nullified. The costs "used up" by the card played include a normal card play and "once each turn" effects. The "consolation" card may not not be another copy of the same card. See different.

For example, the opponent attempts to play Admiral Rider for free to the Office of the President using its "once each turn" text. You play Energy Vortex. Admiral Rider returns to their hand, and they may now play any card from hand, except Admiral Riker, in any way you wish (it does not need to be a personnel and it need not report to the Office of the President). They may not use the text of The Office of the President again this turn.

If the original card was a part of a group action, the "consolation" card will not be considered as part of the group action.

For example, if you play a ship using a report with crew, but the opponent plays Energy Vortex on the ship. You will be able to play a "consolation" card, but even if you play a ship, there will not be a ship played as part of the report with crew, so, you cannot report any additional personnel. Any costs paid to perform the report with crew (e.g. Space-Time Portal or your normal card play) are considered used.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:28 am If you happen to have a list lying around of all [HA] cards that (in your view) actually make use of this anteroactivity, I would find that list very useful, because, as previously indicated, I think this is nutty and I want it to go away (without breaking any existing cards).
[HA] with retroactive effects (in the sense that undoing the action has an impact on gameplay) are

Computer Crash
E-Band Emissions
General Quarters
Mirror Image
Psychological Pressure
Sisko 197 Subroutine
Technical Wizardry
Containment Field
Covert Agent
Expert Pilot
It's Only a Game
Obelisk of Masaka
Establish Tractor Lock
HQ: Defensive Measures
Plans of the Obsidian Order
Plans of the Tal Shiar
Prepare the Prisoner
The Emperor's New Cloak

In theory, all of these effects could be anteroactive (in the sense that their effect is in place even before their activation can be responded to), but for most cases, that is not likely at all (and would rely on some crazy effect).

[HA] with significant anteroactive effects are

Computer Crash
Containment Field
 -  
Community Contributor
u r a peach! Thank you!
 -  
Community Contributor
I routinely refer back to this post, Franklin. Thanks again.

I have unofficially dubbed it "The Areeda-Hovenkamp Treatise of Trek." Nobody knows what I'm talking about, but, trust me, it's an amazing metaphor.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:52 am I routinely refer back to this post, Franklin. Thanks again.

I have unofficially dubbed it "The Areeda-Hovenkamp Treatise of Trek." Nobody knows what I'm talking about, but, trust me, it's an amazing metaphor.
Suddenly I feel a lack of trust, or almost an anti-trust feeling towards the rules..... ;)
 -  
Community Contributor
^ You have pleased me greatly.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:08 pm ^ You have pleased me greatly.
I looked it up. Then my eyes crossed and I did some physics problems to feel better.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]