For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
User avatar
 
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
#577523
Another fun adventure. It did require a bit of doing since Spock of all people would not forget about the ticking clock and get stuck on the planet. Spock? Really? It is neat that he got too absorbed in a library. The Pike/Spock scenes are a highlight.

I was far too entertained that these best and brightest went to outrageous lengths to get light. It started out with smashing a window, then creating a miniature sun and finally beaming up some of the mantle. Sometimes being smart isn't the answer!


The ending is shit. M'Benga prevented Hemmer from solving the problem on the ship to protect his secret? How the fuck does he not get court-martialed? We know McCoy will be the Chief Medical officer but this is how M'Benga goes? That has to be a violation of basic ethics.

I loved the conversation with La'An and Una. It went beyond Bedchel and showed some vulnerabilities. Pike assurances to Una might not hold for too long but it is good to see him going to bat for his crew. We know that La'An is related to Khan but just by family. Still, it haunts her.

After two episodes where she didn't have much to do, Romijn brought it.
The Guardian wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:10 pm Speaking of the most recent episode,
I think some errata might be in order :shifty:
.
Aww heck yeah. Maaybe wait for the remaining seven to air just in case we find out Spock is an eighth Klingon or Pike is a Horta with a really convincing costume. Wait, should I have used a spoiler tag?
User avatar
Chief Programmer
By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Community Contributor
#577576
As somebody that grew up near Toronto, watching Pike pacing around the ruins of Ontario Place (a now mostly-defunct and partially run down theme park that was thriving when I was a kid) muttering "This place is fun, they should sell tickets" was particularly hilarious.
User avatar
 
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
#577945
That was almost entirely reminiscent of Balance of Terror except for not showing the others' viewpoint. Also echoes of Starship Down plus at least a dozen episodes.

The Gorn are being horribly used. In TOS there were misunderstood but here, they are a pack of bloodthirsty aliens which undermines everything done in Arena and muddies how well they would get along in the 24th century. Why not use the Tzenketi or somesuch?

La'an had her breakout episode and we still do not know entirely why she has a rough exterior and they did not go into the Khan of it all. Spock got some time to shine with his old school use of sonar.

There was a lot of fun on the bridge with Pike being in charge and finding a way to even the field, so to speak. It is odd that Una's Magical healing has worn off after a week but all in all a good hour.
User avatar
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2021
Grand Nagus
1E North American Continental Champion 2021
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2021
#577959
Faithful Reader wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:26 pmIt is odd that Una's Magical healing has worn off after a week but all in all a good hour.
These kinds of inconsistencies are part and parcel of episodic Star Trek. 🤷🏻‍♀️
User avatar
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Trailblazer
#578039
Faithful Reader wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:26 pmThe Gorn are being horribly used. In TOS there were misunderstood but here, they are a pack of bloodthirsty aliens which undermines everything done in Arena and muddies how well they would get along in the 24th century. Why not use the Tzenketi or somesuch?
I couldn't disagree more. Remember, "Arena" is yet to come. Nothing in this episode contradicts there, because we know the Federation had heard of the Gorn before then. And the tactics used by the Gorn in "Arena" match what they used in this episode. This episode is adding to their lore, not taking away from it because it happens before "Arena." Then, Kirk gets to show mercy and start mending fences. Here, they are a terrifying adversary that is familiar to TOS fans w/o contradicting what is to come.

-crp
User avatar
 
By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#578043
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:38 pm
Faithful Reader wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:26 pmIt is odd that Una's Magical healing has worn off after a week but all in all a good hour.
These kinds of inconsistencies are part and parcel of episodic Star Trek. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Her healing abilities previously fought off an infection. Not shrapnel. There's nothing inconsistent there.
MidnightLich wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:26 pmThe Gorn are being horribly used. In TOS there were misunderstood but here, they are a pack of bloodthirsty aliens which undermines everything done in Arena and muddies how well they would get along in the 24th century. Why not use the Tzenketi or somesuch?
I couldn't disagree more. Remember, "Arena" is yet to come. Nothing in this episode contradicts there, because we know the Federation had heard of the Gorn before then. And the tactics used by the Gorn in "Arena" match what they used in this episode. This episode is adding to their lore, not taking away from it because it happens before "Arena." Then, Kirk gets to show mercy and start mending fences. Here, they are a terrifying adversary that is familiar to TOS fans w/o contradicting what is to come.

-crp
Agreed. They might be a bit more bloodthirsty than it looks in Arena, but that has been on display in Beta canon for years now.
User avatar
 
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
#578090
MidnightLich wrote: Nothing in this episode contradicts there
Except for the whole going out and conquering someone as opposed to defending sovereign territory. There's a pretty huge gap there.
Cartagia wrote: Her healing abilities previously fought off an infection. Not shrapnel. There's nothing inconsistent there.
Joe: Hey Steve, working on the new healing abilities for our genomes?
Steve: Yeah. It will be great to fight off any foreign agents.
Joe: Yeah, the flu can be a bitch to get through.
Steve: So can spears.
Joe: Wait, spears?
Steve: Yeah, they are a foreign object entering the body. Why even now, your body will work to counteract having a spear in your shoulder. It will start once the clotting happens and then heal itself as it was designed to do in the first place.
Joe: Yeah, but then I'll have a spear in my shoulder for the rest of my life.
Steve: Unless you pull it out.
Joe: Oh you mean if it doesn't do too much damage on entry, you could just pull it out?
Steve: Yeah. You need to use at least approximately the same angle but if you are OK with it going in, you'll be fine with it coming out.
Joe: So you can't regrow a major organ but you can repair something damaged?
Steve: Heck yeah. Come to think of it, we have transporter technology so we can beam out the foreign object if necessary and large enough.
Joe: But what If I don't want the flu but am OK with having a spear in my shoulder? Can you program my genetic structure accordingly?
Steve, I suppose so, but we're primarily enhancing and accelerating something your body already does naturally. We could make a spear exception but that would be more work and be stupid. Plus anti-spear.
Joe: Wow, thanks for the help!
User avatar
 
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Socialite
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
#578111
Faithful Reader wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:47 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Nothing in this episode contradicts there
Except for the whole going out and conquering someone as opposed to defending sovereign territory. There's a pretty huge gap there.
Cartagia wrote: Her healing abilities previously fought off an infection. Not shrapnel. There's nothing inconsistent there.
Joe: Hey Steve, working on the new healing abilities for our genomes?
Steve: Yeah. It will be great to fight off any foreign agents.
Joe: Yeah, the flu can be a bitch to get through.
Steve: So can spears.
Joe: Wait, spears?
Steve: Yeah, they are a foreign object entering the body. Why even now, your body will work to counteract having a spear in your shoulder. It will start once the clotting happens and then heal itself as it was designed to do in the first place.
Joe: Yeah, but then I'll have a spear in my shoulder for the rest of my life.
Steve: Unless you pull it out.
Joe: Oh you mean if it doesn't do too much damage on entry, you could just pull it out?
Steve: Yeah. You need to use at least approximately the same angle but if you are OK with it going in, you'll be fine with it coming out.
Joe: So you can't regrow a major organ but you can repair something damaged?
Steve: Heck yeah. Come to think of it, we have transporter technology so we can beam out the foreign object if necessary and large enough.
Joe: But what If I don't want the flu but am OK with having a spear in my shoulder? Can you program my genetic structure accordingly?
Steve, I suppose so, but we're primarily enhancing and accelerating something your body already does naturally. We could make a spear exception but that would be more work and be stupid. Plus anti-spear.
Joe: Wow, thanks for the help!
An immune system is absolutely not the same as an ability to heal and therefore, genetic alterations to each would have to be separate. Even if one could say, program an immune system strong enough to destroy any foreign object, blunt force trauma still requires a separate healing component and essentially vice versa, as the cells ability to reproduce while clotting agents take effect have no impact on the foreign substance/item I really don't understand what point you are making with this hypothetical conversation except to point out that you don't seem to understand the difference.

Una's illysians maybe felt a superior immune system was ethically acceptable but messing with regenerative healing could lead to abuse of some kind. Fact is they are not the same and the episodes do not necessarily contradict.
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
1E American National Second Runner-Up 2020
#578116
Faithful Reader wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:35 pm

MOD EDIT (nobthehobbit, 2022-05-07): Post edited to remove sociopolitical comment.
Well shit. That's no fun. I want to know what Ross has to say!
User avatar
 
By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#578193
The newest episode may be my favorite Star Trek since the late 90s. Hijinks!

Also, is it Lt. Singh or Lt. Noonien Singh? Most people have been saying the latter, but I'm pretty sure she signed it as the former.
User avatar
 
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
#578384
We were promised a primarily episodic series. There would be a through line with the characters but, for the most part, we should expect zany space adventures.

I've never been so happy to be lied to.

All right, the R'ongovians were the Problem of the Week, but Pike had a masterclass in Diplomacy. This was a turnoff since Diplomacy is Freeman's jam, but Pike has a different take on it. They are distinct enough that they can both live at the same time. His solution is great and displayed even more of his keen observations.

Showing Una and La'an as the ones without fun was shitty. We are here because of this game that we love and would kill ourselves to play as much as we could, but it is work for some people. Gaming is a bit of a niche depending on how deep you go and certainly there are some games even us hardcore fans do not like. We have our own thing and we have seen Una and La'an having fun their own way.

The highlight is Spock and T'Pring. This is a masterclass in acting for Peck and Sandhu who nailed each other with subtlety. When Pike came onto the scene, there were three Straight men who played it perfectly. It is worth the price of admission. If you are looking for more, The Ready Room goes into the craft.

Chapel did not work for me this week. She was more of a conduit for things to happen than to actually do things of her on volition. We are seeing more of her character and relationships which is miles above TOS, but she was just there to do stuff because she is a regular.

Still, a great character based deep dive showing everyone on their time off.
HumQ: Mission Condition

This is not easy to answer. It depends on the af[…]

Strange New Worlds

Why was this alien playing with Rurika? If it l[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @rsutton41 !

Steve won 100-65. Michael I apply the "[…]