A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Anybody watching Season 3? So far through two episodes I'm liking what I'm seeing.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
100%. So far, its been a home run. Trek has never been shy on delving into real life issues. That first episode hit on a few (no spoilers here).

I enjoyed season 1 and 2 of Orville as well. While not quite as 'deep' and a little more jokesy than season 3, I fully expect to enjoy the rest of this season.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I'm loving it. If anything it proves that the classic Star Trek formula still works and doesn't need to be reinvented into a dark, dystopian world where everything's fucked up.

Episode 1
I think is a direct play on TNG's The Best of Both Worlds. One I think that TNG missed to tackle. How did the crew deal with Locutus coming back as Picard after murdering thousands of Federation citizens. They gave us a brief glimpse from Sisko's POV later in DS9 but I actually think Orville did it better.

Episodes 2 & 3
are classic Star Trek tropes. They both feel like an amalgamation of multiple episodes we've already seen on TNG and TOS. And while you get the distinct I've seen this before feeling, they still keep it fresh and intriguing enough to make me want more.

I missed some of the light heartedness from seasons 1 & 2 but I always believed it was only a matter of time before the show would start to take itself seriously.
Like all Star Trek shows (and this is a Star Trek show) it took them 2 seasons to find their feet.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm I'm loving it. If anything it proves that the classic Star Trek formula still works and doesn't need to be reinvented into a dark, dystopian world where everything's fucked up.

Episode 1
I think is a direct play on TNG's The Best of Both Worlds. One I think that TNG missed to tackle. How did the crew deal with Locutus coming back as Picard after murdering thousands of Federation citizens. They gave us a brief glimpse from Sisko's POV later in DS9 but I actually think Orville did it better.

Episodes 2 & 3
are classic Star Trek tropes. They both feel like an amalgamation of multiple episodes we've already seen on TNG and TOS. And while you get the distinct I've seen this before feeling, they still keep it fresh and intriguing enough to make me want more.

I missed some of the light heartedness from seasons 1 & 2 but I always believed it was only a matter of time before the show would start to take itself seriously.
Like all Star Trek shows (and this is a Star Trek show) it took them 2 seasons to find their feet.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'm really liking the prior season call-backs they've been employing so far. It makes this universe feel more complete and consistent in a way I find pleasing -- actions taken by characters in past episodes have consequences in future episodes.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm I missed some of the light heartedness from seasons 1 & 2 but I always believed it was only a matter of time before the show would start to take itself seriously.
I agree on this part. From what i read, it was a 'forced change' during the negotiations in moving to the Hulu network. Hulu wanted to keep some of the levity but make it a bit more serious. So far, the pendulum has swung the other way with, what i feel is, not enough levity. Hopefully it swings back a tickle to add a bit more but 100% keep the subject matter.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Episode 4 is awesome!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:47 am Episode 4 is awesome!
Whatever else it is, it's shockingly relevant to contemporary US politics (for details go to the Bar). No way they could have planned this when they were filming two years ago. Crazy!

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I try not to bother myself with what's going on in american politics these days.
I do however think that this was a very intelligent episode. I have a feeling that it might be inspired by The Undiscovered Country. I could see a very similar political play happening on Qo'nos during the events of the movie.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Another week, another really strong episode.

Nice callback to a Season 1 episode to do some more world building.

It's also sticking with the social commentary, but it's putting some interesting twists on it in ways that make you think without beating you over the head with it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
It's been said that The Orville has been out-Star Trekking modern Star Trek. Maybe that's true, and maybe it's not. I'm not looking to re-light the torch on this particular debate right now.

However, after episode 9, I will say that that single episode out Star Warsed modern Star Wars. A 90 minute episode that had such amazing visuals and effects as to rival anything on the big screen combined with deep moral quandries and personal character development... I have no idea how they did it, but needless to say, I was HIGHLY impressed.

I know a 4th season is no guarantee, but man I hope Hulu finds a way to make it happen. Otherwise this show will be the next Firefly, and NOBODY wants that.

Season finale this Thursday. They've set the bar really high. Hopefully they can meet it, and if this is it, then go out like champs! :cross: :cross:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Well, whether it's for now or forever, that's a wrap on The Orville.

I kind of expected a more low-key episode after last week's epic amazingness, and with it being up in the air whether it was a season finale or a series finale, creating an episode that could serve as either presented a bit of a challenge, and one that I think the writers did an admirable job of threading the needle on.

The biggest (highly pleasant!) surprise was the B story callback to one of my favorite episodes of the series from the first season, Majority Rules. For obvious reasons this was definitely the B story, but it did a really good job spending time in the space of "What would happen if all of our material needs could suddenly be met by technology" and gave a quality meditation on the ethics of The Prime Directive (it's not called that, but it's the same thing and given the same importance)... some real big Roddenberry energy there.

Bottom line, this is a REALLY GOOD show, with high quality writing and amazing production value. If you haven't watched it, I HIGHLY recommend a top-to-bottom viewing. I know that it's moving to Disney+ and is currently streaming on Hulu, and I know that whether or not it gets renewed will be primarily a function of viewership and popular response.

So following the path of the great Bjo Trimble, whose letter-writing campaign back in the day saved the original Star Trek not once but twice, from one nerd to another, I'm asking you to pitch in. Watch The Orville and spread the word. You'll be glad you did.

#RenewTheOrville
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
When The Orville moves to Hulu, there we a lot of questions. Science Fiction shows are expensive to produce, and we didn’t know how much they would foot the bill.

Any concerns were assuaged within moments of the first episode. There were some great effects shots as Gordon zoomed around showing off a new toy/shuttle.

There was also concern about the lower episode count, from thirteen to ten after a fifteen-episode first season. They added time to each episode since they did not have to be in a specific time frame though one is almost a movie at one hour and twenty-five minutes!

The writing stayed on point as well. There was a lot of worldbuilding including an introduction as to how the Kayllon came to be. Why they included guns in domestic housekeepers is a mystery for the viewer, but we found their origin. The Krill had a regime change and other than the Union visiting while not knowing that a) there was an election happening and B0 the current administration was losing is hard to swallow, but the new people in charge and not welcoming of peace. Things are not going well for the Maclon either when a secret enclave of women almost tears their society apart but leads to their expulsion from the Union.

It is odd that our crew in involved in all of this, especially since they were introduced at a time when the fleet was expanding, but they are following up on people they have met previously. It feels a little rushed. Even though we saw the death of K’mpec, the instillation of Gowron and the fall, that was over a nine-year period. There was a lot of plot put in with the Krill and Maclon over one singular year and the accelerated pace of a shortened season did not make it easier.

One of the strengths of this series is the extensive use of aliens. From Yaiplat as a recurring regular to an entirely CG engineer, we see a lot of diversity. This was very apparent when we saw an interracial performance of Annie open an episode. This very much shows different species greater than any Trek series with the possible exception of Lower Decks. On the other hand, Bruce Boxleitner is almost unrecognizable as President Alcazar.

There were two big casting changes to the season, the first of which is the replacement of Blesson Yate with Imani Pullum as Topa. Johnathan Frakes said that The Outcast would have been better had Soren been cast as a male actor. We will never know but replacing a male actor with a female worked wonders. Pullum knocks it out of the park as Topa knowing they are not comfortable in their own body. There are effects to disguise her gender but she own the role and makes it her own. She bonds with Grayson and their pairing is natural.

Of course, making Topa female cause friction with Klyden who leaves albeit temporarily. A traditionalist, Klyden is not on the side of Bortus until the Maclon’s leave the Union. That reignites his passion for his family and acceptance of his daughter. Bortus is the straight man but fiercely proud of his daughter and her desires.

Ever since he got a promotion to chief engineer, L lee’s LaMarr has not been on the bridge but is still seen around the ship. He also leads a strong engineering team but they are able to have some personal banter as things progress, just like any other office.

Gordon remains a great pilot and gets to live another life in what was undoubtedly a budget saving period partially set in the modern day. This was a great showcase for Malloy. It says a lot that Mercer told him the truth after they figured that problem out. He is an everyman, protecting the little guys even when it gets him in trouble in front of Union leadership.

Captain Ed Mercer continued to sue his crew effectively. He would represent the Union and lead his crew. He knew their strengths and weaknesses for any mission from landing on a planet or securing an enemy stronghold.

Grayson would continue to kind of be there as an intermediary between the crew and captain. She would advocate for them and take care of personal issues. It is clear that just like Riker and Ransom, the writers do not know what to do with the character. Still, she explains things to newcomers and offers good introductions solving problems as they arise.

Suit actor Marc Jackson is expressionless as Isaac but had great gestures. Despite not being able to move a muscle on his face, his body language spoke volumes. They continued to sue the trick from season two of him being on the holodeck to project a human version on top of him. He is more than just a pale imitation of Data; he is a fully fleshed separate character.

Penny Johnson Gerald is one of the most experienced members of the cast and she is great as Doctor Finn. She falls further in love with Isaac, to the point where they wed at the end of the season. There is a great scene where she if off duty with her girlfriends and they weigh the pros and cons of the marriage. This is a crew that I buy more than any other that hangs out in their off hours and enjoys doing so. We have seen Ty and Marcus grow up before our eyes and BJ Tanner as Marcus got some meaty material to work with.

The newest addition is Anne Winters as Charley Burks. She initially was wholly against Isaac but she did not know the lengths he went to keep the Union safe. From her perspective, he is an enemy. IT says a lot that she only reluctantly fixed Isaac and that was under the captains’ orders. Imagine that moment if she did so of her own volition after talking with Marcus but still reluctantly so. Having a lopsided interpersonal relationship is not good when we know the truth. Her death was a surprise, but Winters got to do a lot in her comparatively brief time, including show off eh singing ability.

Not all is great. There are only two directors this season, Seth McFarlane and Jon Cassar. Both experienced in their own right, it spread McFarlane a bit thin. Plus, in a season subtitled new Horizons, there was not a whole lot of new stuff, though there were present on occasions, just not at a frequency you would expect given the subtitle. Plus, the show still looks like it was shot thirty years ago. That fits with the vibe they are going for but not with the overall landscape. Additionally, there are scenes that go on ten to twenty percent too long. Plus, the body suits in the finale looked horrible.

One of the mandates imposed by Hulu was less comedy in a show billed as a comedy science fiction. That would allow the cast to show more of their dramatic chops but also let the humor get a little more dark.

The fourth season is up in the air, as opposed to Trek where not only do they get renewals years in advance, the second season of Strange New Worlds wrapped before the first one finished airing. With Solar Opposites and a new season of Futurama, Hulu has a lot for their Comedy Science Fiction bases covered. Still, a fourth season of the Orville would be welcome.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This is such a fanstatic show. To echo Armus, this show is some of the best 'Trek' in quite some time. Just fantastic.

I will be so very sad if we dont get a season 4. But, even if we do, Seth might not be involved anyway.

Decisions, decisions ....
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Se7enofMine wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:57 pmThis show is some of the best 'Trek' in quite some time.
I'm completely serious about this: I don't see it. As a note, I'm still working through season 3. The first three episodes were really tough for me and left me unmotivated to continue. The fourth was the first one I would call good, but that's as far as I got. I think the first season had one great episode and the second a smattering of good here and there, but I wasn't wowed. I want to be clear, though; you have the opportunity to gain a recruit. I'm open. I've had my mind changed before by someone showing me the genius of something I took for granted. But I just don't understand Trek fans looking at this show and saying it does Trek right. What am I missing?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]