Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

I attempt a mission with Borg Queen Guardian in the away team. They are facing Miner Revolt. When can the Queen swap selected personnel for Miner Revolt? Each one as they are selected or do I have to wait till my opponent pulls personnel with 6 total cost then I can exchange one of them?
Same goes for Inquest, this time with [SD].

What can I do if my Borg Queen Guardian and 9 other personnel with Overrun face Chula: The Chandra?
The first personnel for Chandra is my choice, I select a 1 cost drone. Is the second personnel for Chandra still my choice or not? Since I know have 9 personnel active is the next personnel random, or is the effect of Overrun checked when the dilemma is revealed and lasts till the end of that dilemma?
What is the purpose of the phrase "This effect lasts until the end of this mission attempt" .
If random can my Guardian Borg Queen swap the second personnel selected for Chandra swap with a drone from the discard pile or does she have to wait til the condition on Chandra is fulfilled?

Thanks
:cheersL:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 am .

I attempt a mission with Borg Queen Guardian in the away team. They are facing Miner Revolt. When can the Queen swap selected personnel for Miner Revolt? Each one as they are selected or do I have to wait till my opponent pulls personnel with 6 total cost then I can exchange one of them?
According to the Rule book, page 11, you need to wait until after the 6 cost are drawn, then you can exchange. I think you can also do the exchange after the card is revealed but before the selection begins.
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 amSame goes for Inquest, this time with [SD].
Yes, same.
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 amWhat can I do if my Borg Queen Guardian and 9 other personnel with Overrun face Chula: The Chandra?
The first personnel for Chandra is my choice, I select a 1 cost drone. Is the second personnel for Chandra still my choice or not? Since I know have 9 personnel active is the next personnel random, or is the effect of Overrun checked when the dilemma is revealed and lasts till the end of that dilemma?
What is the purpose of the phrase "This effect lasts until the end of this mission attempt" .
No one is stopped until after all the selections are made, so all the Chandra selections are your choice in this scenario.
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 amIf random can my Guardian Borg Queen swap the second personnel selected for Chandra swap with a drone from the discard pile or does she have to wait til the condition on Chandra is fulfilled?

Thanks
:cheersL:
The Queen Swap can happen between the 2nd and 3rd sentences on Chandra.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
You can respond to a dilemma upon reveal and at the end of each sentence. So in the case of Miner Revolt you can swap, say a 1 in for a 3 before you start selecting to increase the odds of fewer people getting stopped, or you can respond after the selection but before the stop if you want to get a person out of your discard pile to fill a skill gap, etc.

Just hit preview and saw that Maggie @jadziadax8 responded. I don't see anything she wrote that I would disagree with. :cheersL:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  

ok Thanks.
.... I wonder if there will ever be a better Queen than Guardian. The new one would have to have a hell of an ability/skill combo to beat Guardian.
We should have a design contest .... :D (hinthint)

:thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:58 am .

ok Thanks.
.... I wonder if there will ever be Queen as good as Guardian. The new one would have to have a hell of an ability/skill combo to beat Guardian.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor

ok Thanks.
.... I wonder if there will ever be a better Queen than Guardian. The new one would have to have a hell of an ability/skill combo to beat Guardian.

There's a reason she got Retired in Hall of Fame...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:04 pm

ok Thanks.

Actually she is not ... :P
Oh nevermind, the post in the forum hasn't been updated. The list on the home page shows her banned. Ok
So.. the more reason to make a new one.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:07 pm

ok Thanks.

There's a reason we need another...
We have several others.

The problem is none of the others see play because Guardian is so good... maybe even too good.

But I don't think the solution is a BIGGER BETTER QUEEN that will not only push Guardian into the binder, but also push all of the other versions further down in the binder.

The better solution, assuming we accept the premise that Guardian is a problem (which I'm not sure I am but we're going with it for discussion purposes), is for Balance to dial her ability back.

Or just play more Hall of Fame events... :wink:

Joking aside, I haven't played any HoF events yet this year, but I said during one of the shows that retiring Guardian would make me want to play Borg in Hall of Fame because I legit want to see what kind of Borg decks are viable with only the other Queens to choose from.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 pm
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:07 pm

There's a reason we need another...
We have several others.

The problem is none of the others see play because Guardian is so good... maybe even too good.

But I don't think the solution is a BIGGER BETTER QUEEN that will not only push Guardian into the binder, but also push all of the other versions further down in the binder.

The better solution, assuming we accept the premise that Guardian is a problem (which I'm not sure I am but we're going with it for discussion purposes), is for Balance to dial her ability back.

Or just play more Hall of Fame events... :wink:

Joking aside, I haven't played any HoF events yet this year, but I said during one of the shows that retiring Guardian would make me want to play Borg in Hall of Fame because I legit want to see what kind of Borg decks are viable with only the other Queens to choose from.
I would disagree on dialing down the Guardian Queen in strength to get closer in power level to the other queens. Guardian is very good but the other queens fall behind strongly in comparison (except maybe Perfectionist if you assimilate). Don't make something weaker because the alternatives are weak..
Considering other affiliations, for example those crazy Archers or those excluding Dominions running around, I wouldn't see a basis for nerfing Guardian.

I'd love to see more specialized queens... a Persistent queen that boosts that dilemma pile, a queen with lacking skills (Acquisition, Intelligence, Telepathy etc..), or a queen that deals with skill-less dilemmas. That would exclude the use of Guardian, but open up some specialized options...

Regarding HoF,.. Battle Locutus is waiting for deployment.. one day. He makes a fun deck!
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:05 am
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 amI attempt a mission with Borg Queen Guardian in the away team. They are facing Miner Revolt. When can the Queen swap selected personnel for Miner Revolt? Each one as they are selected or do I have to wait till my opponent pulls personnel with 6 total cost then I can exchange one of them?
According to the Rule book, page 11, you need to wait until after the 6 cost are drawn, then you can exchange. I think you can also do the exchange after the card is revealed but before the selection begins.
Are we sure? Sure, Miner Revolt (and many of the other examples) simplify the repetitive process by basically saying "keep doing it until," but each one of those selections is a separate action (defined by the thing the dilemma is having you repeat), no?
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:05 am
TyKajada wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 amIf random can my Guardian Borg Queen swap the second personnel selected for Chandra swap with a drone from the discard pile or does she have to wait til the condition on Chandra is fulfilled?
The Queen Swap can happen between the 2nd and 3rd sentences on Chandra.
I'm not sure if that's your meaning, but suggesting responses can only be between sentences has been a long-time confusion. I recall a clarification about that back in the Decipher days. And, the example on p. 11 seems designed to clarify this as well.
A dilemma’s instructions are broken down into actions. You may use applicable game text (“When/While . . . facing a dilemma”) only before or after any of these actions, not in the middle of one. For example, A Klingon Matter reads: “Unless you have … randomly select a personnel. If that personnel has… , he or she is killed, then all your other personnel are stopped and this dilemma returns to its owner’s dilemma pile.” Randomly selecting a personnel, killing that personnel, stopping all your other personnel, and returning this dilemma to its owner’s dilemma pile are all actions.
The selection is its own sentence, but the kill, the all stop, and the return to the dilemma pile are all in the same sentence and are listed as separate actions that you can respond to in the middle of the sentence.
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe fix Guardian Queen before making a new Queen? Oh wait... LOL

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
StateofSTCCG wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:32 am Maybe fix Guardian Queen before making a new Queen? Oh wait... LOL

Has this problem already been fixed in the hot, new format "FRONTIER", or is just a format change, rather than addressing specific cards?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:20 am
StateofSTCCG wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:32 am Maybe fix Guardian Queen before making a new Queen? Oh wait... LOL

Has this problem already been fixed in the hot, new format "FRONTIER", or is just a format change, rather than addressing specific cards?
No idea. I'm still not sure it actually exists.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]