This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
User avatar
 
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Socialite
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
#583139
Armus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:43 pm Here's what I would do if I had a magic wand...
Flip Side of Empok Nor wrote:When first commandeered, all players may download any number of different sites and up to six different equipment cards here. Normal reporting now allowed.
And
Last Part of Space-Time Portal wrote: ...OR (once per game) Report With Crew one [1E-AU] ship (all cards must be [1E-AU], limit 6) to any location.
Now both mechanics still work, and even still work together, but the crazy is dialed waaay down to *only* about 2 modern game turns worth of card plays, which is still a decent deal, just not crazyballs stupid broken level of good.

Thoughts?
I could get on board with that. I think the best part of your proposal is the part where you tie it to how much normal turns worth of X you are getting. After all, whats the point of all this work in OTF of making and limiting card play and card draw engines yet something like this is still allowed to exist?

Open and OTF are meant to be entirely different things. One is nostalgia broken crazy wild west shenanigans and the other is supposed to be a carefully curated, best attempt at balance strategy game.
User avatar
 
By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2021
2E World Champion 2021
1E American National Champion 2022
#583140
Wow what a clever deck. I look forward to watching the videos.

+1 on the STP and empok nor proposal. Unlimited is too much.

Brunt’s shuttle is also unlimited, and coincidentally uses empok nor. Should the OTF rules be updated to limit any report with crew to 6 personnel rather than individual cards?
User avatar
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E World Champion 2021
Contender
Community Contributor
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2022
#583151
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:56 pm
KazonPADD wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:21 am It appears he forced people to use their one Q the Referee first. Ref defence useless.
I haven't watched the videos yet so how? The revolving door on the tent? Given that I would think that he has to revolving door an opponents TMW I don't see how that would do it.
This wouldn't work. Tribunal of Q's "ignore any effect" clause was designed precisely to stop Computer Crash, Revolving Door, and that whole class of cards from blocking a [Ref] download -- and it's written stupidly broadly, so there's just no way (that I can think of) to stop Q the Referee from fetching It's Only A Game to the table and shutting an STP drop down cold.

I haven't had time to watch the video yet, either, and am therefore still pretty puzzled about how this worked. (I therefore have no opinion on whether the deck is a problem, or merely a surprise.)

Kudos to Peter for doing the "download several dozen personnel into play at once to win a major tournament" trick, though! That strategy is near and dear to my heart.
User avatar
 
By Dukat
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2022
#583156
Well, congrats to Peter on this one!
His deck was mostly about psychological warfare, than being about just playing something that works. If someone had not given ‚up‘ and saved their Ref cards, his deck would have failed completely and he would have ended with 50 cards in his hands and nothing to do with it.

Also congrats to Florian who came in third, very closely before me.

I am sure, no matter what happens now, Peter will have something very good in hand for next year’s Kaiserfest.
Of course, that means, we have to break his strain of luck/cunning at some point! ;)

For me, it was an exciting event and very good to see all the people, some after SUCH a long time.

For some reason, I did not have Kaiserfest ‚on my radar‘ – but that has changed. I will try to make it there every year from now on!
User avatar
 
By martok88
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
1E European Continental Champion 2022
1E German National Champion 2021
1E Swedish National Runner-Up 2018
#583164
Thanks for the congratulations guys. And a big thanks to Kaiser and anyone who helped for the lovely weekend and perfect organization and incredible prize support.

I only just read through this thread and since several people asked, I posted a little tournament report:

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=12027

I thought about this deck a lot and I think it should be addressed. The only way to win against it is to bring Tribunal of Q and not get bated into wasting a Ref. Currently, that means you auto-win against 75% of higher-level decks and you can even bate the other 25% into wasting the ref. Those 25 % are interesting, but the other 75% require absolutely no skill to win.

In the cases where the opponent has a Q the Ref out, this deck has a feature that you rarely see though: it becomes less about the cards on the table but more about psycholoy. You have to somehow convince the opponent to waste their Q the Ref. That can be super interesting - for me a new aspect to the game.

My suggestion would be a limit on the STP drop, maybe 12-15 cards. I read 6 cards as another suggestion: I would prefer at least 12 so some other cool deck types do not also get nerfed as collateral.
User avatar
 
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Socialite
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
#583167
martok88 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:17 am Thanks for the congratulations guys. And a big thanks to Kaiser and anyone who helped for the lovely weekend and perfect organization and incredible prize support.

I only just read through this thread and since several people asked, I posted a little tournament report:

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=12027

I thought about this deck a lot and I think it should be addressed. The only way to win against it is to bring Tribunal of Q and not get bated into wasting a Ref. Currently, that means you auto-win against 75% of higher-level decks and you can even bate the other 25% into wasting the ref. Those 25 % are interesting, but the other 75% require absolutely no skill to win.

In the cases where the opponent has a Q the Ref out, this deck has a feature that you rarely see though: it becomes less about the cards on the table but more about psycholoy. You have to somehow convince the opponent to waste their Q the Ref. That can be super interesting - for me a new aspect to the game.

My suggestion would be a limit on the STP drop, maybe 12-15 cards. I read 6 cards as another suggestion: I would prefer at least 12 so some other cool deck types do not also get nerfed as collateral.

Thanks for the report Peter. I was looking over your deck yesterday morning after you posted it before i went golfing and was fairly certain i had figured out how it all worked, just not the "how he baits the q the ref". Of course its that simple that i looked right over it.
Be this a lesson for the worlds participants - if the opponent seeds empok nor in a large deck, remember your 2002 charlemagne "Let the referee be only for that which seems truly necessary to deal with for the overload may be cometh"
Temporal Narcosis

Copy it with affiliation and era restricti[…]

The Menagerie Roundtable

I know I don't have an hour long commute anymore s[…]

I just noticed that the Voyager Beginner Deck […]

In another EPIC game I manage to get a MW over T[…]