By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
There is a rule that states "When reporting for duty, both the card reporting and the facility it reports to must be in their native quadrants."

However, Ferengi Trading Post does not simply rely on its status as an outpost to allow reporting. It has special text that reads: "Each player's non-Borg cards may report and mix aboard regardless of affiliation."

There is nothing to suggest that this special text is inoperable when the the Trading Post is in another quadrant. I can see someone saying "No, it just allows reporting regardless of affiliation -- not regardless of what quadrant the facility is in." But look closely, and you see that the special text also allows the other player's cards to report, so it's not *just* eliminating the affiliation reproting restriction -- the special text itself allows the cards to report.

In fact, if this card weren't an outpost, or weren't even a facility the special text would work exactly the same way.

(Obviously i would be relying on Construct Starshipto download the outpost outside its native quadrant.)

I'm thinking about this because I've noticed that the Mirror Quadrant does not have a any kind of non-aligned, neutral or other facilities allowing reporting of any non-Borg affiliation, the way the Alpha and Delta Quadrants do.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:23 pm There is a rule that states "When reporting for duty, both the card reporting and the facility it reports to must be in their native quadrants."

However, Ferengi Trading Post does not simply rely on its status as an outpost to allow reporting. It has special text that reads: "Each player's non-Borg cards may report and mix aboard regardless of affiliation."

There is nothing to suggest that this special text is inoperable when the the Trading Post is in another quadrant. I can see someone saying "No, it just allows reporting regardless of affiliation -- not regardless of what quadrant the facility is in." But look closely, and you see that the special text also allows the other player's cards to report, so it's not *just* eliminating the affiliation reproting restriction -- the special text itself allows the cards to report.

In fact, if this card weren't an outpost, or weren't even a facility the special text would work exactly the same way.

(Obviously i would be relying on Construct Starshipto download the outpost outside its native quadrant.)

I'm thinking about this because I've noticed that the Mirror Quadrant does not have a any kind of non-aligned, neutral or other facilities allowing reporting of any non-Borg affiliation, the way the Alpha and Delta Quadrants do.
I agree that the special text does sound like it is in addition to normal outpost reporting but it might just be wishful thinking on my part. I feel like this will be answered with a "no" though because if the reporting ability is independent of facility based reporting then you can report anyone from any quadrant at a Ferengi Trading Post in the alpha quadrant because quadrant restrictions only apply to normal facility based reporting unless otherwise stated.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
So, I would say as written right now, this works. I would also say this was an oversight by Decipher.

The reason why I say it would work is this text from the rules:
Exception: Site & Station Reporting
When using a special reporting function on a Site or Station card, both the card reporting and the facility must be in their native quadrants, just like with built-in reporting.
(Emphasis mine.)

Now, the clear answer to me is that the rulebook should be updated to say Site or Facility card, because at the time it was written, they didn't think of an Outpost having special reporting functions.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I am sorry, but this would seem to be covered in the rulebook:
When reporting for duty, both the card reporting and the facility it reports to must be in their native quadrants.
Last line of the first paragraph of "Native Quadrant" in the Reporting for duty section.
It doesn't count as special reporting if it is a non-Station facility doing the allowing. Therefore you have to follow the default rules. The rules only carve out Site and Station reporting, then tell you to do the native thing anyway, because they are special reporting locations. Ferengi trading post is a regular reporting location with slightly expanded usage allowances.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sorry about the double post, the thing was supposed to save not post.

Otherwise we end up with odd ducks like:
USS Enterprise E reports to Unicomplex for free.

Rogesh and Kalenna report for free to Camp 371 as long as an appropriate treaty is in play.

Or, by logical extension, [MQ] peeps popping in to any old matching Headquarters (or the opposite, for the rebellion HQ) without the need for a Crossover, because the free report portion of Headquarters text is special reporting, not its regular built-in reporting functions, right?

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:59 am Since the Outpost isn't saying "here" I say you have to obey the Quadrant rule.
I think Enabran is right (if I understand correctly): the absence of the word "here" means that the card that is being reported still has to be following normal quadrant reporting rules, even if the Ferengi Trading Post is allowing reporting to occur.

And even if you could use the special text of Unicomplex or a Headquarters to override quadrant restrictions, I don't have a problem with this. It makes conceptual sense that some things just show up at a Borg Unicomplex from all over.

Likewise if someone wants to play [TE] Julian Bashir at Terran Rebellion HQ without a copy of Crossover: An Invitation, I'm fundamentally OK with that. There are VERY few cards that could do this. Indeed, the only other one I can think of is the [TE] Kira Nerys, who you need a treaty for.

That is not one [MQ] Klingon contains the words "high council" in their lore to report at The Great Hall, there is not one [MQ] [Car] Gul who could report at Central Command, nor are there any [MQ] Bajorans who are ministers, vedeks or Kai, or any [MQ] [Fed] Admirals, vice Admirals or Presidents.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that this was the reason there are no [MQ] Guls and why the phrase "High Council" was left off Regent Worf, , Captain Lursa, and Captain B'Etor.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]