This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Young Shinzon feels wrong treksense wise. Feels like he was made to take advantage of Temporal Benefactor. I’m sure he does something useful for a Reman deck but not being enthusiastic so far.

The new warbird is really nice and wondering how to boost it more for a romulan battle fleet.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
DarkSabre wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:11 am Young Shinzon feels wrong treksense wise. Feels like he was made to take advantage of Temporal Benefactor. I’m sure he does something useful for a Reman deck but not being enthusiastic so far.

The new warbird is really nice and wondering how to boost it more for a romulan battle fleet.
He can be in play at the same time as Shinzon, so he can provide an extra body. I’m guessing Remans don’t have a lot of Youth, so he may be meant to help against certain dilemmas.

Edit: But yes, I agree he feels a bit weird.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:56 am
WeAreBack wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:30 am The increase to staffing on the new Vulcan lander and the removing the ability for Vulcans to report aboard makes it a VERY tough sell that this is something I should use over the original.

The original Vulcan lander pairs really well with New Arrivals. You can even play a deck with 29 dilemmas where you report it to Seal Rift in [1E-DQ] and basically use it as your mobile outpost for a [Vul] deck.
I'd use it in a [Vul] deck without thinking twice. They didn't have a great option for a landable ship before now.

But yeah, if crazy shenanigans are your thing, then maybe the OG one is more for you. But I think despite having the same card title, they're two very different cards tailored for very different decks.

That strikes me as a good thing.
Considering both Vulcan Landers are universal/non-unique, why not use both? [NA] Lander gives you a place for your Vulcans to report, while [Vul] Lander goes out and solves missions. Stick a Transporter Control Module on each and you don't even have to worry about them not having transporters.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I figured Young Shinzon was there to make the decision to seed an [1E-AU] door easier when deciding if you want to add [22] Remans

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: He can be in play at the same time as Shinzon, so he can provide an extra body. I’m guessing Remans don’t have a lot of Youth, so he may be meant to help against certain dilemmas.

Edit: But yes, I agree he feels a bit weird.
By limiting on what you can do with Remans, would make sense to put in an arbitrary [1E-AU] and youth in to help with some dilemmas but the leadership makes no sense because it was his Viceroy who saved his ass from being killed in the mines.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
DarkSabre wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:31 pm By limiting on what you can do with Remans, would make sense to put in an arbitrary [1E-AU] and youth in to help with some dilemmas but the leadership makes no sense because it was his Viceroy who saved his ass from being killed in the mines.
I don’t think he’s arbitrary. He appeared in the movie. And I don’t think Leadership is inappropriate. The Viceroy may have saved him, but Shinzon had to have some natural leadership skills to get to point of being the leader of the Remans. The part I think is a bit weird is having a kid version and an adult version of a character running around in the same deck. Then again, that sort of oddity dates back to James T. Kirk and Captain Kirk, so it really all boils down to my long-standing hot take that 2E does a better job at Trek Sense than does 1E, at least on a macro level.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
GooeyChewie wrote: Then again, that sort of oddity dates back to James T. Kirk and Captain Kirk, so it really all boils down to my long-standing hot take that 2E does a better job at Trek Sense than does 1E, at least on a macro level.
2E always seemed to be poor at the Trek Sense on this point, to me. There are many instances of characters working with "themselves" from various timeframes / parallel universes / whatever in Trek. But in 2E, it's basically "if you're named the same, too bad where you came from or if you were on screen with yourself", right?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:45 pm
DarkSabre wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:31 pm By limiting on what you can do with Remans, would make sense to put in an arbitrary [1E-AU] and youth in to help with some dilemmas but the leadership makes no sense because it was his Viceroy who saved his ass from being killed in the mines.
I don’t think he’s arbitrary. He appeared in the movie. And I don’t think Leadership is inappropriate. The Viceroy may have saved him, but Shinzon had to have some natural leadership skills to get to point of being the leader of the Remans. The part I think is a bit weird is having a kid version and an adult version of a character running around in the same deck. Then again, that sort of oddity dates back to James T. Kirk and Captain Kirk, so it really all boils down to my long-standing hot take that 2E does a better job at Trek Sense than does 1E, at least on a macro level.
I reconcile it by keeping in mind that 1E is very specifically set in the TNG/DS9/VOY era, so a child version turning up in the "present" must involve some form of time travel.

I've always found the 2E approach where I can't have time-travel or multiple universe counterpart team ups a bit annoying and slightly too restrictive. I may have argued against bringing DQSS to 2E back in the day (I actually wrote what the head of my playtest group described as "an essay" on why it was a bad idea) but it would still be fun to have Kira and the Intendent team up. :D

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
That all being said about personas and [1E-AU] icons, I was really surprised Refugee Guinan in the last set wasn't called "Madam Guinan" or at least have it mentioned in her lore.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
enabrantain wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:33 am That all being said about personas and [1E-AU] icons, I was really surprised Refugee Guinan in the last set wasn't called "Madam Guinan" or at least have it mentioned in her lore.
But 23rd century Refugee Guinan was Hundreds of years removed from 19th century Madam Guinan. Further than she is from 24th century Modern Guinan, even. I don't see how we could call her the same guinan, but Spock and Mr. Spock different.

And now I have typed Guinan so many times it doesn't look like a word anymore.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MattgomeryScott wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am Nice bit of storytelling through gameplay going on on todays Formidable Warriors . I like it! :D

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
This one was one of "my cards" ... I've always wanted [1E-DS9] [1E-Rom] to be a playable deck type and this set gave me the opportunity to explore that.

I also want to give a hat tip to the Dogs of War team, as Alliance With the Son'a was what really inspired me to tie the Remans into Deep Space 9 to accomplish my design goal.

Glad you like it! :cheersL:

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:I also want to give a hat tip to the Dogs of War team, as Alliance With the Son'a was what really inspired me to tie the Remans into Deep Space 9 to accomplish my design goal.
I hope that me being on the team and being the one that pushed for that specific card in DoW could have something to do with it. =)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:48 pm
Armus wrote:I also want to give a hat tip to the Dogs of War team, as Alliance With the Son'a was what really inspired me to tie the Remans into Deep Space 9 to accomplish my design goal.
I hope that me being on the team and being the one that pushed for that specific card in DoW could have something to do with it. =)
I'm not sure I actually knew that AotS was one of "your cards" from that set, but having played with it in a couple of [Dom] decks now, I definitely like the dimension it adds, and as a Designer now, the Design space you opened up with it! :cheersL:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 am
enabrantain wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:33 am That all being said about personas and [1E-AU] icons, I was really surprised Refugee Guinan in the last set wasn't called "Madam Guinan" or at least have it mentioned in her lore.
But 23rd century Refugee Guinan was Hundreds of years removed from 19th century Madam Guinan. Further than she is from 24th century Modern Guinan, even. I don't see how we could call her the same guinan, but Spock and Mr. Spock different.

And now I have typed Guinan so many times it doesn't look like a word anymore.
But Madam Guinan and Refugee Guinan are the same character in STCCG terms, they are both Guinan from the past, how far apart on the timeline shouldn't really matter IMO. The same way a [OS] Spock and [CF] Spock are the same character "from the past" while [1E-TNG] Spock is from the TNG/DS9/VOY era of the timeline. But I could see how this can be interpreted differently.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation