This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 119 posts

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
B-4 says he can gain a skill once per game (if not playing Feds). Dr. Soong says he can reprogram any android present. Does that mean Dr. Soong can re-select what skill B-4 has?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:42 am B-4 says he can gain a skill once per game (if not playing Feds). Dr. Soong says he can reprogram any android present. Does that mean Dr. Soong can re-select what skill B-4 has?
I don't think so. Once per game is Once per game.

Contrast with Lal and Soong-Type Android which trigger when reported and by definition are NOT limited to once per game.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:42 am B-4 says he can gain a skill once per game (if not playing Feds). Dr. Soong says he can reprogram any android present. Does that mean Dr. Soong can re-select what skill B-4 has?
No. His Glossary entry says that he can only reprogram androids that selected a skill/classification when they entered play. I would rule that B4's skill is an order, so Soong doesn't apply.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:56 am
No. His Glossary entry says that he can only reprogram androids that selected a skill/classification when they entered play. I would rule that B4's skill is an order, so Soong doesn't apply.
I love it when I'm right for the wrong reasons!

:lol:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:42 am B-4 says he can gain a skill once per game (if not playing Feds) . . .

Did I miss something here ... since B-4 is [NA] [Rom], just how does he have the option to "play as Fed"??
If you have any (ANY) [Fed] card in play you are considered to be "playing [Fed]." If that's true, you cannot use B-4's ability to gain any skill.
Last edited by Armus on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:43 pm
Klauser wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 pm Very nicely done CC ... for making Formidable Warriors a reachback for [RC] decks!
Glad you like it! :cheersL:
Very much so. I am somewhat of a Trek continuity nerd, and making obvious crossover cards for DS9-era and TNG Movies-era (Dominion-Son'A) and DS9 (Romulans -Remans) is inspired thinking on your part. Again, well done!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:50 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:43 pm
Klauser wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 pm Very nicely done CC ... for making Formidable Warriors a reachback for [RC] decks!
Glad you like it! :cheersL:
Very much so. I am somewhat of a Trek continuity nerd, and making obvious crossover cards for DS9-era and TNG Movies-era (Dominion-Son'A) and DS9 (Romulans -Remans) is inspired thinking on your part. Again, well done!
I also have to give a shout out to @jjh and the art team for engineering an image that makes story line sense despite not being seen on-screen. Great composite work! :cheersL:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pmI also have to give a shout out to @jjh and the art team for engineering an image that makes story line sense despite not being seen on-screen. Great composite work! :cheersL:
They are deities amongst us lowly humans.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
OrionSyndicate wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:23 pm I assume that The New Reman Flagship isn't meant to work with Formidable Warriors since the Scimitar isn't compatible with Reshape the Quadrant?
They work fine together. You just can't download scimitar or shinzon. The rest of the utility stuff works.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
OrionSyndicate wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:23 pm I assume that The New Reman Flagship isn't meant to work with Formidable Warriors since the Scimitar isn't compatible with Reshape the Quadrant?
It can work with Formidable Warriors (and there are reasons to use it in such a deck), but you are correct that, if you use the text to download the Scimitar, you blow up Reshape the Quadrant and render Formidable Warriors useless. However, if you're playing all-[1E-Rom], you may decide at some point that having the Scimitar in play is worth losing the extra free play.

It's an interesting dynamic between these two cards that can lead to some creative deckbuilding and in-game decisions.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]