This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 119 posts

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Takket wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 pm I don't see Engage the Borg as all that playable. It doesn't provide a free play so the only thing it does is give you more options for Federation Flag: Relaunched. The only people this card allows you to play that you couldn't play already are:

Kathryn Janeway (The Sky's the Limit)
Matthew Dougherty
William T. Riker (The Sky's the Limit)
James T. Kirk

and Riker already has multiple [EE] personas. So you are basically going to spend a seed card for access to three more people and 1 persona?

Granted there could be a couple more coming in Nemesis.......
Wrong ...

With the other card, [1E-AU] personnel can ignore their AU and so you get a LOT of new personnel!

9 guys from Generations, 2 from Insurrection and 5 from Nemesis.
Some are personas of existing cards, but still ... much more than just four.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:46 am
Takket wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 pm I don't see Engage the Borg as all that playable. It doesn't provide a free play so the only thing it does is give you more options for Federation Flag: Relaunched. The only people this card allows you to play that you couldn't play already are:

Matthew Dougherty
James T. Kirk

and Riker already has multiple [EE] personas. So you are basically going to spend a seed card for access to three more people and 1 persona?

Wrong ...

With the other card, [1E-AU] personnel can ignore their AU and so you get a LOT of new personnel!

I'm not sure this works as well as you think.

With Make a Difference Again, the Generations [1E-AU] [CF] crew can ignore their [1E-AU] icon, but only if they're also [1E-TNG] , which requires you to have Continuing Mission in play. The problem is as soon as you play a personnel with a property logo that's not TNG or Generations, Continuing Mission blows up and the [1E-AU] [CF] [1E-TNG] go back to being just [1E-AU] [CF] so the MADA text no longer applies.

You may be able to thread the needle and get an early game drop with this approach, but if you're going to use [EE] people as well, you're gonna have to detonate Continuing Mission eventually. Also, even if the free plays on MADA are shut down, the drawing restrictions are not, so that's another thing to consider.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:58 am
Dukat wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:46 am

Matthew Dougherty
James T. Kirk

Wrong ...

I'm not sure this works as well as you think.

With Make a Difference Again, the Generations [1E-AU] [CF] crew can ignore their [1E-AU] icon, but only if they're also [1E-TNG] , which requires you to have Continuing Mission in play. The problem is as soon as you play a personnel with a property logo that's not TNG or Generations, Continuing Mission blows up and the [1E-AU] [CF] [1E-TNG] go back to being just [1E-AU] [CF] so the MADA text no longer applies.

You may be able to thread the needle and get an early game drop with this approach, but if you're going to use [EE] people as well, you're gonna have to detonate Continuing Mission eventually. Also, even if the free plays on MADA are shut down, the drawing restrictions are not, so that's another thing to consider.
If there was a way to somehow not download the Enterprise E with Flagship, then there is a narrow band of Generation crew that could report for free with the [CF] from Earth Spacedock, [1E-TNG] From MADA, and another from Flagship: Relaunched + Engage the Borg. That could be a high-risk but fun deck to play.

By Tosk
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:59 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:37 am
Tosk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:20 am With today's spoilers I'm hopeful for reprints of the Enterprise-C and her crew with the [CF] symbol (or perhaps new versions altogether that are a bit more updated for the modern game).
"Making a Difference Again" is a phrase that could apply equally well to the time-displaced Rachel Garret, Richard Castillo and even Tasha Yar as it does to James T Kirk.
And also Morgan Bateson and the Bozeman (except with the TNG logo this time)?
And Ian Andrew Troi! All the peeps in the Films uni should be [CF] .
And young Picard and his buddies from the "Res-Q" episode!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Tosk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:55 pm And young Picard and his buddies from the "Res-Q" episode!
Isn't that way too late?

[CF] would logically end in 2293 (Undiscovered Country). Picard isn't *born* until nearly ten years later, so it'd be a solid 30 years after when he gets shanked in a bar.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote:Isn't that way too late?

would logically end in 2293 (Undiscovered Country). Picard isn't *born* until nearly ten years later, so it'd be a solid 30 years after when he gets shanked in a bar.
It... depends. We use [CF] on the 1701-B people, but that's only a few months later.

But if Starlet wanted to use the uniform for that looooong era, why not?

I think creatively it ties it all together in that "lost era" between the eras, and it will never be that much material.

(Side note; despite generally being averse to retcons, if they ever do make a movie/show set in that era, I'm fine with retconning in a different uniform, as that one lasted way too long. (And it's my favorite))
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:21 pm

would logically end in 2293 (Undiscovered Country). Picard isn't *born* until nearly ten years later, so it'd be a solid 30 years after when he gets shanked in a bar.
It... depends. We use [CF] on the 1701-B people, but that's only a few months later.
And I'll accept the Nexus/B end of Generations as part of [CF], because that's also 2293 as you say.
I think this is where we have to remember that this is a TV show, and you see the movie uniform used as shorthand for "the past" because they just needed to throw someone in a uniform for an episode and why create a whole new design?

Or, if you prefer the counter-example: look at how many different uniforms show up in the TNG/DS9 "era", because each show creates a new style. (Remember, that Picard, Sisko, and Janeway are all walking around at the same time wearing different uniforms, and then Prodigy, Nemesis, and Lower Decks are all contemporaneous)

It's like starships- the other races just build a model and keep using it, but every Federation captain seems to get sent to the shipyards to construct their own unique version.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:43 pm
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:21 pm

And I'll accept the Nexus/B end of Generations as part of [CF], because that's also 2293 as you say.
I think this is where we have to remember that this is a TV show, and you see the movie uniform used as shorthand for "the past" because they just needed to throw someone in a uniform for an episode and why create a whole new design?

Or, if you prefer the counter-example: look at how many different uniforms show up in the TNG/DS9 "era", because each show creates a new style. (Remember, that Picard, Sisko, and Janeway are all walking around at the same time wearing different uniforms, and then Prodigy, Nemesis, and Lower Decks are all contemporaneous)

It's like starships- the other races just build a model and keep using it, but every Federation captain seems to get sent to the shipyards to construct their own unique version.
I tend to think of it not as the "lost era" but the "complacency era". Klingons struggling after praxis, romulans are MIA, Gorn are keeping to themselves, etc. The uniform seems to reflect that starfleet was just satisfied to keep a status quo for a long period.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:14 pm I tend to think of it not as the "lost era" but the "complacency era". Klingons struggling after praxis, romulans are MIA, Gorn are keeping to themselves, etc. The uniform seems to reflect that starfleet was just satisfied to keep a status quo for a long period.
That's how I usually think of it as well. Glad I'm not alone... :cheersR:

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Tosk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:55 pm
winterflames wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:59 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:37 am
And also Morgan Bateson and the Bozeman (except with the TNG logo this time)?
And Ian Andrew Troi! All the peeps in the Films uni should be [CF] .
And young Picard and his buddies from the "Res-Q" episode!
One of the cards I am hoping for in the "Return of the AU/QC" set is a play engine for [1E-AU] cards that don't have Era icons. The "True Alternate Universe" folks, which works rules-wise and thematically with the Ent-C people because that reality essentially never existed so they weren't just time travelers.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Can a personnel who normally couldn't report to the Enterprise-E via Federation Flagship: Relaunched do so, with Engage the Borg having granted the expansion icon when needed? My understanding is once the personnel is in play, the personnel instantly has it (i.e. there isn't a window where the personnel has to gain it, and so Relaunched stays put); not sure though when the check happens for reporting.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Data's Socks wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:11 am Can a personnel who normally couldn't report to the Enterprise-E via Federation Flagship: Relaunched do so, with Engage the Borg having granted the expansion icon when needed? My understanding is once the personnel is in play, the personnel instantly has it (i.e. there isn't a window where the personnel has to gain it, and so Relaunched stays put); not sure though when the check happens for reporting.
Pretty sure it adds the icon to your cards even in the deck. I remember a discussion about how the line on Continuing Mission is redundant and unnecessary.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]