This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:47 pm
The problem is that some people care about their rankings.
Easy solution - if we're making a "casual format", commit to the bit and have it be a separate format that doesn't track ratings. (Or tracks participation or whatever metric we're actually pushing.)

Separate format means that the World Class Tier don't have to worry about the fun event tanking their rating, and the lack of a Casual rating means there's no e-peen to be gained by crushing the field.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
For my day as King of the CC I would... HAVE WOWBAGGER FROZEN IN CARBONITE FOR HIS CHEEK! Wait... wrong Sci-Fi genre... genres really... Star Wars and Hitchhiker's Guide...

I'd suggest a card, or cards, to the design team to give [AQ] [Voy] a [1E-DS9] icon, especially [1E-Rom] and [Fer] .
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
enabrantain wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:49 pm For my day as King of the CC I would... HAVE WOWBAGGER FROZEN IN CARBONITE FOR HIS CHEEK!
Honestly? Fair. It's surprising Director Krennic Plaine hasn't been driven to this yet.

(After I ruined a mechanic: "We were on the verge of GREATNESS, James! We were this close!")

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
These discussions about rewarding or incentivizing casual play always lose me. Why do we need to rely on extrinsic rather than intrinsic motivation? The reward for playing a game is that you have fun, right? Is the game not fun?
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:25 pm These discussions about rewarding or incentivizing casual play always lose me. Why do we need to rely on extrinsic rather than intrinsic motivation? The reward for playing a game is that you have fun, right? Is the game not fun?
Different people are motivated differenly. Just because they dont have fun teh same way you do doesnt mean we shoudnt incentivize it

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:25 pm These discussions about rewarding or incentivizing casual play always lose me. Why do we need to rely on extrinsic rather than intrinsic motivation? The reward for playing a game is that you have fun, right? Is the game not fun?
For my part, I just want people to talk about how they make decks

The way I see it, we talk about decks 3 different ways here.
1) Deck breaks the game. People talk about the way it broke the game in some vague and unspecific terms for weeks before the actual deck is discussed in any details, and even then it is only to partially explain how the deck broke.
2) Deck wins a tournament. Talk revolves around Ratios and a half dozen different words which all means Numbers.
3) Deck to spotlight a new mechanic. Talk actually revolves around what went into the deck and how to play the deck. Helps players understand how the deck should work in the wild.

It would be helpful to teach people what should be in a good deck. Pokemon says if your deck is divided 20 energy 20 pokemon 20 trainers and not more than 2 Pokemon types your deck to be playable. Magic has a variety of different suggestions, but the one that stuck with me was that a 60 card deck should be 24 land, a good mix of low cost spells, and around 18 creatures.

Our game is more complicated than those games. I have been playing this game for nearly 30 years (3/4s of my life and half again as long as I have been married) but my decks are still hit or miss on whether or not I finish a single mission. I cannot look at a deck list and interpret how it is supposed to work, even though I can tell you what almost every card in the game can do. I can't do that with Magic or Pokemon either, but I don't even have the cards in my collections memorized for those games.

If I can't make a functional deck after 30 years, how can you expect a new player to make a deck or even take a netdeck and know how to drive it in a game?

I have tried stuff like my idea before, I had a Deck Type Challenge game for a little while, but no one wanted to participate (who has to to make a deck just for fun?)

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:34 am
For my part, I just want people to talk about how they make decks

The way I see it, we talk about decks 3 different ways here.
1) Deck breaks the game. People talk about the way it broke the game in some vague and unspecific terms for weeks before the actual deck is discussed in any details, and even then it is only to partially explain how the deck broke.
2) Deck wins a tournament. Talk revolves around Ratios and a half dozen different words which all means Numbers.
3) Deck to spotlight a new mechanic. Talk actually revolves around what went into the deck and how to play the deck. Helps players understand how the deck should work in the wild.

It would be helpful to teach people what should be in a good deck. Pokemon says if your deck is divided 20 energy 20 pokemon 20 trainers and not more than 2 Pokemon types your deck to be playable. Magic has a variety of different suggestions, but the one that stuck with me was that a 60 card deck should be 24 land, a good mix of low cost spells, and around 18 creatures.

Our game is more complicated than those games. I have been playing this game for nearly 30 years (3/4s of my life and half again as long as I have been married) but my decks are still hit or miss on whether or not I finish a single mission. I cannot look at a deck list and interpret how it is supposed to work, even though I can tell you what almost every card in the game can do. I can't do that with Magic or Pokemon either, but I don't even have the cards in my collections memorized for those games.

If I can't make a functional deck after 30 years, how can you expect a new player to make a deck or even take a netdeck and know how to drive it in a game?

I have tried stuff like my idea before, I had a Deck Type Challenge game for a little while, but no one wanted to participate (who has to to make a deck just for fun?)
I like this idea alot, because I think it's okay to build decks that you know arent competitive on the tournament scene. My group has been doing that alot (we had a "delta" challenge and currently a "mirror" one). The idea is that you had to use primarily a certain group of cards, etc.

Could a version of what you are saying is to build a deck without the most common "power" cards. This idea isn't fleshed out in my own head, but something like, "build a deck without _________" Without Free Reports. Without Downloading, without using defend homeworld to download a security, without any unique or enignma personnel. etc. It would be a fun way to promote creative deckbuilding. Just an idea. Not sure if that would fit into your idea, though.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]