This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Hey all and happy Friday!

Simple question this week: What was your favourite ever match up?

I’ve had a lot of fun matchups over the years, but one of the standout matches I had was a 0-0 True Tie Vs Niall Matthew in a Borg Vs Kazon confrontation - a truly epic game of strategy and a battle of wits!

But maybe it was a more bizarre game that lives in your memory? I’ve had numerous games which have just been laugh-a-minute, from my opponents “God” blowing up their only Borg Cube, to having my DS9 assimilated!

What are your favourite 1E memories?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
That time I used here by invitation to have DS9 tractor lock Niall's Borg cube.

That time I, going first, turn 2 tractor locked Huths Borg cube with my Borg cube and he conceded.

That time I once sent in a four person team to attempt a space mission "bc they were the random Darryl's I could let die" and they proceeded to beat every dilemma in my opponents four card combo.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
One of my favorite matchups ever was also against @sexecutioner. I think we were both testing decks for an upcoming online Masters. I was playing around with Hirogen holograms and he was playing Cardie capture. He sent his Crell Moset over to my Olarra to try to run his draw engine. Little did he know that I had actually stocked Children of Light in my Tent. Iden was on the ship, so I immediately [DL] Children of Light to capture Crell. Awesome!

More recently, @Armus and I played a ridiculous Reman mirror match game in the Nemesis release event that we felt we had to share with the world it was so wild.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Mine will always be the time I blew up a Unicomplex with 1 ship in 1 shot. At WORLDS.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:16 pm Mine will always be the time I blew up a Unicomplex with 1 ship in 1 shot. At WORLDS.
I concede the tale contest...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
For good reasons:
  • My first tournament ever featured a 132-125 nailbiter that was called at time (Q's Planet was in play)
  • Both of the PNZ vs PNZ mirror matches I played; I am proud to have won them both.
  • A game with Todd Soper where the seed phase lasted 15-20 minutes since we both knew the other was trying to do something sneaky.
  • Blowing up an outpost on the first turn
For bad reasons:
I am fond of making stupid mistakes when I play that lead to memorable and somewhat hilarious losses. My overall tournament career can be described as "good decks with inconsistent execution".
  • Forgetting to seed my sites in a Nor-based deck.
  • Mistaking my Transwarp Network Gateway for a Q-Flash and seeding it under a mission. (Pre-Voyager, so my Borg were stuck at an outpost in literally nowhere)
  • Q-bypassing when my opponent already had a Writ on the table. Story:
    It was on the second day of a Seattle two-day tournament. The first day was sealed deck, and I turned in only a lackluster performance. So, for the second day (which was Constructed) I brought the Q-Bypass deck I had built in case I made it to day two of Worlds (which I didn't). This was right after Rules of Acquisition released, and I could get fourteen personnel into play in three turns -- quality personnel that can also overcome dilemmas, not just random high INTEGRITY people -- so I thought I was all set to blow everyone out of the water.

So, I win the first game 100-0, lose a squeaker to James Monsebroten 100-95, and then get my butt kicked 100-0 by Todd Soper. With any chances of winning the tournament gone, I set about to win the last game and at least end up with a positive differential. My opponent, Nate, only had about 3 personnel in play when I solved one mission for 50 points without Bypassing (he infiltrated me and Dialed Martok to murder one of my mission requirements so I switched up my plan). Anyway, he notices I have a bunch of self-seeds, so he Devidian Doors Brunt into play and downloads a Writ. No prob, I think. There's another nearby mission that will get me to 100, so I'll just trip my Q without passing it, then blast through the dilemmas with my 14 personnel and win, since Nate wasn't anywhere near passing my dilemmas.

Small problem: he outseeded my Q with one dilemma. OK, still no problem. I built this deck to pass dilemmas in case of Hide and Seek, so one shouldn't be a problem. Tired and ready to end the game quickly, I look through my stack of personnel, choosing personnel that can cover the dilemmas I suspect. One or two of each classification, a couple of needed skills. So, without counting up the attributes of my personnel, I throw them at Espionage Mission. And yep, you guessed it, I breezed by his dilemma and hit my own Q with about 62 INTEGRITY, bringing a screeching halt to a promising 100-0 victory and turning it into an ugly 100-0 loss.
LORE wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:16 pm Mine will always be the time I blew up a Unicomplex with 1 ship in 1 shot. At WORLDS.
Kurlan-ed cube + 4-card battle bridge?

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Playing agains my friends, no matter what their deck is. Having a bit of 1 hour fun with the game that we love.

But if we are talking tournaments it's all about the sealed decks! Anyhting DS9 is an instant best for me! OTSD is so solved unfortunately. Even Voy Warp speed is nice from time to time as long as some of the most broken cards are removed from the setup.

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've told this story a lot over the years, but it's got to be my OTSD game against Steve Nelson where I got to pull off two "I can't believe I'm doing this and it's working" moments.

The first is that I got to use the entire text of Open Diplomatic Relations during that game. I seeded it to get my treaty on the table at the start. Steve blew up the treaty later with The Devil, so then I on my next turn I used the retrieval function to get it back from my discard pile. This is before the errata so it required destroying the Objective as well. I got Steve caught on the wrong side of a Q-Net from his Outpost, and to make it worse I used a Palor Toff to get ODR back into my hand, flew my ship to the same mission, then played it on his ship and beamed over a single VIP. Not only was he light on the Diplomacy to cross the net, but he had no leaders to start personnel battle, so the ship was completely stuck. It was not a small number of personnel that were involved.

The second came later while he was trying to dig for a card that would let him go retrieve his other personnel or fight me to get the ship back. Steve is a notorious table-talker. I managed to get a Subspace Schism in my packs and figured it might be a good way to get a better card draw in a tight spot or a small annoyance for opponents. I ended up getting it into my hand a turn or two after stranding his ship with my VIP. A turn or two later he draws to end his turn and announces, "Finally, there it is!" I play the Schism and force him to discard what he drew and redraw something else. "NO!!" :o
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Rachmaninoff wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:22 am Kurlan-ed cube + 4-card battle bridge?
Actually, no. Not a Kurlan-ed one. I did it with a Tactical Cube and a few +2 weapons drones by Q's Tent'ing for Prefix Codes. :shifty:
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 -  
As in you used multiple prefix codes? I thought that would be non-cumulative as you can’t have the same effect on the same target twice… otherwise that means 23 Tactical Drones to boost weapons that high…

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:Actually, no. Not a Kurlan-ed one. I did it with a Tactical Cube and a few +2 weapons drones by Q's Tent'ing for Prefix Codes. :shifty:
:cheersL: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
KazonPADD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:51 am As in you used multiple prefix codes? I thought that would be non-cumulative as you can’t have the same effect on the same target twice… otherwise that means 23 Tactical Drones to boost weapons that high…
Actually Tactical Cube + 2 Tactical Drones and a Prefix Code Transmission is enough with the 4-card battle bridge... Maximum Firepower gets you to juuuuust enough ATTACK to score a [Flip] [Flip] [Flip] hit.
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 -  
Ah! I assumed Kris’s “No” applied to both parts!

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
This was greatest moment.

Last year at Nationals in Kentucky. I was playing Scotty (sorry I don't remember your last name) on Day 2. It was a limited constructed event centered around [CF] era decks. He came with a Release Your Pain/Sybok deck and I had a Klingon deck that attempted to move people using gender-related dilemma and then Orbitally-bombard them to death. I had not played OB yet, and this is an important part of the story.

The game progressed and Scotty was 1 mission away from the win (he had a 2-mission win deck). At this point in the game, he had forced me to give him my Shuttle Galileo, I had moved Sybok to the far end of the spaceline (so he had to travel through my zone to get him), and Sybok had already returned home once. I forget exactly why, but I had either killed his Chariot of "God" or maybe he didn't have it out...but either way he was just down to his Galileo, needed Sybok to win, and had to go get him.

He was moving down towards my spaceline and I was loading Klingon ships to blow him up. Scotty had the slick idea of landing the Galileo when it was in range, and when he did so he stayed on the ship, looked at me and said something along the lines of..."what is he going to do, play an Orbital Bombardment???"

Then I played OB and blew up his ship, essentially ending the game. One of the most fun movements of the tourney. Honestly, Scotty's games that weekend were my favorite.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]