This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
As some of you know, I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I, and one of my buddies are regular players at our Jacksonville, NC group. We are trying to get a couple of guys out here to begin playing. I have purchased a sizable amount of sealed product with which to begin deck construction. First 1 box Premier, 1 box AU, 1 Q-Cont, and 1 RoA, then 2 boxes TWT, 2 boxes Mir Mir, 4 OTSDs, 1 2nd anthologies box, and one Holodeck adventures.
I previously posted what people thought of this as a base from which to start a group, and feel that the majority of the responses were positive in support of my selection. What I am going to do is offer any and all of the cards to the new players to build their initial decks. Then I am going to do a preliminary refinement process with each one and run through a basic game using a TWT starter as my deck (FED). This will let me let their deck play out and I can see where it is failing and where they can improve. Following the 2.0 versions of their deck I will have them loaded in to the deck builder and then online with links from the blog page to solicit the opinions of the community at large of their decks. From there they can get critique that is not coming from a single source and they can strategize with better players to begin progressing as players.
I am hopeful that the Community will help with this as I have seen soo many of you taking time out of your day to assist others. I want the new guys to feel like equal players, not like they are invited to tournament where it is expected they will lose for the benefit of others.
In an effort to keep the guys playing after we return to the states I have decided to let the players keep any of the cards that make it into their final decks. I am not going to charge them anything, since is it for the benefit as a TD that I am doing this. I will likely make them pony up for any more Tournament Kits I purchase, as I am trying to save my money. :D
In summary, this is really my first great experiment with getting players into the game; if you have any advice for me, let me know I will happily try sound advice to get people playing.
Thanks in advance:
-Edwin.
[CF]
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:I wish you the best of luck!

If there's anything we, as a community, can do to help you, please let us know!

-crp
:thumbsup:

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Latrell,

I have some 1E starter cards I put together for players interested in the game. Mostly basic cards for each affiliation - outpost, basic missions, common ships, equipment, personnel and such. I also have some stock cards - interrupts, events, dilemmas, etc.

Normally I ask folks just to cover the shipping costs if they want some.

Since you're deployed, I'd be happy to send what you need and I'll handle the postage. Let me know what you want and how many of each. If I have them, they're yours.

Thanks for your service ...

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Klauser,

Thank you for the offer, and I would love to take advantage of that. From what I have been told, the stuff I have ordered should be able to support the Big 3 AQ affiliations, so I would most definitely be interested in acquiring some Bajoran or Cardassian basics which I should be able to augment with the rares and uncommons from what I have ordered. Also, If you have Kazon or Vidian basic builds I could run those affiliations in the DQ to "avoid directly interacting with my opponent’s deck just to see how their initial builds are running. Also, I do not what to feel like I am asking for a lot, and if you forgive me, I would try to talk you out of picking up the shipping on this. I really do appreciate your gesture of support for the military service members, and so I won't argue the point further if you feel like this is something you really want to do, but; as I am sure you can understand, I wouldn't want to feel like I was getting anything for nothing, you know?

My ability to PM seems to not work so I will post my email address here so that you can contact me directly. Email removed 20110212.

Once I hear from you, I'll remove my email.

Thanks again for your support!
-Edwin.
[CF]
Last edited by Latrell on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I'm going to Havelock for a 2E tournament on the 19th. I'm not sure if the folks there are interested in 1E or not, but I'll mention you to them while I'm there.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Are you headed to Rules of Engagement or a different store?

RoE is the only one I am aware of in Havelock... And I haven't been in there in sometime. If you find yourself in Jacksonville, they know me there :)

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I'm pretty sure Rules of Engagement is the name of the store we're going to. I'm in Charlotte, so it's a bit of a drive.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Wow, yeah it is. You know, I am geting a great deal of support in the forums for the group that is coming together out here. I am really optimistic about keeping them playing after we get back. I wonder do you do any 1E on your side, and if so, we should set something up in the way of a combined tourney when we get back... I would love an excuse to go out that way again! :)

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Hey everyone! I want to start this week off by sincerely thanking each of you who has contacted me about helping out my beginning players. It means a lot to both me and the group to know that our efforts at having fun while we are away from home are so well supported by you. It speaks volumes to the level of character present among Star Trek players in out community. Thank you very much.

Well, it has been a week and I am unhappy to report that the long awaited order from Hills is still pending arrival...

This is what I know...
Hill's has told me that the product was shipped on the 27th of January, the same day the order was placed. The confirmation number they gave me for the USPS package shows that the package is somewhere in PA. It arrived there on the 27th, which I think means that it is where the package initially entered the postal system. At any rate, the tracking system has no more information to provide.

I followed up by shooting the USPS a trouble ticket, but there is a two to three day response window, so I am waiting that out now... Hopefully this issue will resolve itself now that I am trying to get satisfaction on it through the USPS customer service system.

As for all of my other packages which have been sent, all have arrived in approximately one week. Some have made it in as little as 5 days; so it’s pretty reliable for me to get parcels. It just so happens that my 1E start-up assortment for the Marines out here has gotten snagged in the system. Figures...

In other news, I have begun teaching the very, very basic game play concepts to a couple guys here. They are not very big on Trek itself, but games and competition are the big motivators for them, so they are making progress in picking the basics up.

I understand that r00t61's 1E Open Format Tutorial is a really good aid for beginners, and those trying to teach beginners, unfortunately the computer network out here does not let me access them. Page block or some such thing... I was hoping someone out there might know where I can access them, or if they are available via email? I think these would go a long way to allowing me to aid learning while not actually working the same shift as some of my day-crew counterparts.

Well, that about sums up my week. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get as far as holding anything close to a tourney, but my goal is to hold one before the month is over. I want to ensure that players get to actual play and competition. I know victory, and bitter defeat can be powerful incentives to keep playing. :)

Well, have a good week, and I hope I have better news for the community on this project next time.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I do not know of any myself, but I would be happy to try to access any you might know. But I cannot guarantee that I will have luck accessing them. "The Man" out here is big on what sites you can and cannot go to...

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I warned you about that Hill's :wink:

In my experience, sending packages to some other countries means that the tracking system is effectively worthless. When I have sent packages to Vietnam, the system shows when it arrived at the airport and boarded a plane out of the country and then there is a 3-4 week gap of no info. Finally, my friend/family in VN calls me up and thanks me for the package. Then on the following day, the tracking site shows that the package was received.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ahh yes, ye-olde-finger-wagging / "I-told-you-so" Combo, almost as ubiquitous as the Vulcan salute... :wink: I am really glad to hear that you order DID get there. Bodes well for me... :thumbsup:

So, I mentioned that I am at a lull right now trying to get things going and I have had a few extra minutes on my hands to work out an idea for a Bajoran Trainer deck.

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... deckID=417

The entire basis for the deck and why the build seems so utterly basic is listed in the deck write up. Well, that combined with the small card pool out here and the point that I have never played Bajoran before kind of helped to fashion it into what it is now.

I know that many of you are online at times very different from my own so I am posting this here to get feedback from the most people I can before I play this deck. (Should be in the next few days.) I am eager to hear any comments you all may have. Constructive criticism is the only way we learn, well, that an big mistakes. :)

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]