For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I am alternating running 1E and 2E online events each month. For the 2E event in April, I've decided to use a similar tournament to the "affiliation theme" event that was run for 1E last September, and adapt it to 2E.

Second Edition "Assigned Headquarters" Constructed Event

Rules:
Pre-registration is required, to a maximum of 16 players. Please don't register if there are already 16 players entered.

Each participating player must send a PM to OKCoyote with a list of their preferred headquarters, listing all 16 (14 HQ + Voyager + Non-Aligned) in order of preference. All lists must be received by March 15th.

Affiliations will be assigned based on each player's tournament rating as of March 16th, giving preference from lowest to highest. Thus, the lowest-rated registered player will get their first choice. The second lowest rated will then get their highest available choice, and so on.

Gameplay is Standard rules and regular deckbuilding rules apply, with the following limitations:

* You may ONLY use your assigned headquarters and no other headquarters missions are allowed.
* You may ONLY play personnel and ships that can report to your assigned headquarters using its gametext.
* You may NOT play Non-Aligned personnel and ships (unless you are the Non-Aligned player). Exception: If you are playing a faction (DS9, Voyager, or Maquis) you may play Non-Aligned personnel that bear your faction's icon.
* If you are Non-Aligned, you may use any one headquarters, but you may ONLY use Non-Aligned personnel and ships.
* If you are the Voyager player, you must use Caretaker's Array and U.S.S. Voyager (or U.S.S. Equinox), and NO headquarters missions.
* The Seen and the Unseen is banned for this event.

As a reminder, the following are the 16 headquarters options with cards allowed:

BAJORAN: Bajor, Gift of the Prophets; Bajoran cards
BORG: Unicomplex, Root of the Hive Mind; Borg cards
CARDASSIAN: Cardassia Prime, Hardscrabble World; Cardassian cards
DOMINION: Founders' Homeworld, Home of the Great Link; Dominion cards
DS9: Mouth of the Wormhole, Deep Space 9; DS9 icon cards
DS9-E: Earth, Home of Starfleet Command; Federation DS9 icon cards, Earth icon cards
FERENGI: Ferenginar, Financial Hub; Ferengi cards
KLINGON: Qo'noS, Heart of the Empire; Klingon cards
MAQUIS: Athos IV, Maquis Base; Maquis icon cards, Federation Treachery personnel
NON-ALIGNED: any one headquarters; Non-Aligned cards
ROMULAN: Romulus, Seat of Power; Romulan cards
STARFLEET: Earth, Humanity's Home; Starfleet cards
TEROK NOR: Mouth of the Wormhole, Terok Nor; Terok Nor icon cards
TNG: Earth, Cradle of the Federation; TNG icon cards, Earth icon cards
TOS: Earth, Lush and Beautiful Home; TOS icon cards
VOYAGER: Caretaker's Array and no headquarters mission; U.S.S. Voyager and Voyager icon personnel (or U.S.S. Equinox and Voyager icon Treachery personnel)
Last edited by OKCoyote on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Will the [NA] hate dilemmas be banned?

-  
OKCoyote wrote:I'm not 100% familiar with everything in 2E yet. Examples?
Main:

Quarren Labor Shortage
The Seen and the Unseen

Lesser:

Hired Muscle
Lawgivers

(Shocking Betrayal is a bit of an odd duck here.)

There's also Moral Choice, of course.
 -  
If I disallow dilemmas that would punish one player, where does it stop - do I ban Moral Choice because some people are playing Fed? Do I ban cards that may be harsher on the Voyager player for having no HQ? I think the built in pros of each particular faction balance out with the cards that might show up against them. Also, how many of these cards will people actually stock knowing they're usable against one-sixteenth of the field?

Right now I'm going with "no" on banning anything. If it dissuades you from a particular faction, rank it lower on your list.

If I hear enough objection this may change. I'm open to opinions.

-  
OKCoyote wrote:If I disallow dilemmas that would punish one player, where does it stop - do I ban Moral Choice because some people are playing Fed? Do I ban cards that may be harsher on the Voyager player for having no HQ? I think the built in pros of each particular faction balance out with the cards that might show up against them. Also, how many of these cards will people actually stock knowing they're usable against one-sixteenth of the field?

Right now I'm going with "no" on banning anything. If it dissuades you from a particular faction, rank it lower on your list.

If I hear enough objection this may change. I'm open to opinions.
My point is that, especially in regard to QLS and TSatU, whoever draws [NA] will be forced to stock countermeasures that other players will not (Moral Choice is ugly to [Fed] , certainly, but nowhere near as much as "all your guys are stopped, you lose 5, I get 5 and you don't even stack a dilemma under").
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
2E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
Clarification - Does this include NA's that have that icon as well? For example- Vic Fontaine for DS9, Amaros, Kasidy Yates, Reide, Macius, Harana, Kobb, Sakonna and Sark for Maquis, Kes, Tuvix, Neelix, NA Doctor for Voyager just to name ones that just came to mind?

Michael

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
My point is that, especially in regard to QLS and TSatU, whoever draws [NA] will be forced to stock countermeasures that other players will not (Moral Choice is ugly to [Fed] , certainly, but nowhere near as much as "all your guys are stopped, you lose 5, I get 5 and you don't even stack a dilemma under").
However, there will only be 1 NA player in 16. If anyone fills their dilemma pile with NA hate, then those dilemmas will be useless in (perhaps all) of their games depending on whether or not they get paired with NA.

While the NA player can use Gem and Ooh to get rid of them.

If NA is so bad, then everyone will rank them low and a high level player will get them. Which means that they have a good shot of winning this.
 -  
Triumph wrote:The Seen and the Unseen is absolutely brutal against NA - there's no comparison to something like Moral Choice.
OK - The Seen and the Unseen is pretty brutal. We'll ban that one. (The dual HQ event got one ban, so this one will get one too.) Everything else I can live with.
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote:Clarification - Does this include NA's that have that icon as well? For example- Vic Fontaine for DS9, Amaros, Kasidy Yates, Reide, Macius, Harana, Kobb, Sakonna and Sark for Maquis, Kes, Tuvix, Neelix, NA Doctor for Voyager just to name ones that just came to mind?

Michael
I was going to say that these were only for NA as well, but that's an awful lot that Maquis can't use, and seems wrong that Kes and Neelix can't play to Voyager. I'm going to say that a faction icon overrides the non-aligned restriction, I don't think that will hurt things too much.

So DS9, Voyager, and Maquis players may play Non-Aligned personnel ONLY if the personnel has their faction icon. (Other factions could too but I don't believe any others exist.)
 -  
Another clarification: the rules say you may only include personnel that could report to a headquarters using its own gametext. This means, for example, you can't play Captain on the Bridge to play another affiliation's Commander to your corresponding ship (though you can play it for the correct affiliation). As another example, you can't play Yelsar in a DS9 or Terok Nor deck.

-  
QLS isn't on the level of TSatU (apart from costing 2 less), but I remember reading a tournament report back in the day that mentioned that the only reason a straight [NA] deck didn't win was because he had no way of dealing with QLS. (Now, of course, we have Gem, ONH and BOT.)
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]