For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Following from a 1E Deck Designs discussion started by Squircifer here, I decided that setting up a tournament might be a fun thing to do.

The tournament will be Limited OTF where Basic idea is that competing decks will be subject to three deck construction guidelines as follows:
1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. The idea here is that personnel who are not the ❖ CARDNAME would not be able to report after the Seed Phase.

2) Cards that place personnel into play during the seed would be allowed. This follows from the first guideline but felt it important to be clear about it.

3) Seed deck dilemmas must conform to achievement eligibility for both "In My Day..." and "Highlander" Eligibility for this "In My Day..." is defined as Play in a sanctioned First Edition Constructed, complete card pool tournament with a deck containing dilemmas from Premiere, Alternate Universe, Q Continuum, or Shades of Gray only. Highlander achievement eligibility is defined as Play in a sanctioned First Edition tournament with a deck containing no duplicate dilemmas and 30 cards entered in the seed pile of the deck builder.

4) Kobayashi Maru Scenario and all 2EBC cards will not be eligible for use in this tournament. Some good discussion has arisen about these card, both for and against in the discussion threads. Ultimately, since this tournament is about having fun, I made the call that these cards could be abused to the point of creating an un-fun play environment based on considerations of the above deck design constraints.

The tournament itself will begin two weeks from today, and take place from 9 June to 30 June. Three rounds of play where each round to be complete by the players paired within the seven days. Pairings will be made each monday, beginning 9 June. If we have more than 8 players, I will add a 4th round.

1st Round starts on Monday, 9 June 2014 and results are due on 15 June 2014
2nd Round starts on Monday, 16 June 2014 and results are due on 29 June 2014
3rd Round starts on Saturday, 29th March 2014 and results are due on 29 June 2014

You can join the tournament here: https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... entID=7008

EDIT: 26 May 2014 at 0506 PDT
EDIT: 26 May 2014 at 1516 PDT
Last edited by Latrell on Sun May 25, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
Latrell wrote: 1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. The idea here is that personnel who are not the ❖ CARDNAME would be able to report after the Seed Phase.
What you probably mean is that the ❖ personnel is the only one allowed in your draw deck. The way you have written it, only 1 personnel is allowed in the deck.
Also, the second sentence makes no sense. Only one ❖ guy is allowed but personnel who are NOT that guy would be able to report after that - how could you if you cant put them in your deck?
Last edited by Dunnagh on Mon May 26, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dunnagh wrote:
Latrell wrote: 1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. The idea here is that personnel who are not the ❖ CARDNAME would be able to report after the Seed Phase.
What you probably mean is that the ❖ personnel is the only one allowed in your draw deck. The way you have written it, only 1 personnel is allowed in the deck.
Also, the second sentence makes no sense. Only one ❖ guy is allowed but personnel who are NOT that guy would be able to report after that - how could you if you cant put them in your deck?

To clarify, Yes, the deck designs are to be based around running one ❖ personnel. As many copies as you feel you need.
For Example: Building the deck around ❖ Batrell as Latok mentioned in the thread. You can run as many of that card, but no other personnel in the deck.

As for the second sentence, that was a typo, sorry for the confusion. The original post has been edited to clarify, and the sentence should read as follows:
The idea here is that personnel who are not the CARDNAME would not be able to report after the Seed Phase.

I hope this is more clear, but if not please let me know. I want to make the intent clear so that there are no issues come tournament time. Thanks :thumbsup:
Last edited by Latrell on Mon May 26, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
2E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
Does this mean that personnel of any kind can be included other than the universal character IF they could be downloaded during the seed phase?

Michael
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Hmmm. Data's Body gets a new use suddenly!

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote:Does this mean that personnel of any kind can be included other than the universal character IF they could be downloaded during the seed phase?

Michael
Downloaded or seeded, that is correct. I see your mind is tinkering... :thumbsup:
KazonPADD wrote:Hmmm. Data's Body gets a new use suddenly!
Indeed. Now you just an infirmary and a Hypospray :wink: Or maybe some weird Artifact

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
Hooray, a tournament that doesn't start on the 2nd. Sounds like fun, hope I find the time to make a deck.
Dunnagh wrote:What you probably mean is that the ❖ personnel is the only one allowed in your draw deck.
I guess that is also not what he meant. If I download the two guys from the draw deck, e.g. via AMS, they are legit, aren't they? Same with anything I download in the seed phase.
Last edited by Mogh, Son Of Worf on Mon May 26, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote:Does this mean that personnel of any kind can be included other than the universal character IF they could be downloaded during the seed phase?

Michael

Latrell,
Since you said this was correct, I want a more clear ruling on it.
can you
A) play other personnel ONLY during the seed phase.

or

B) if I can play them during the seed phase I can play them anytime?

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote:

Michael

Latrell,
Since you said this was correct, I want a more clear ruling on it.
can you
A) play other personnel ONLY during the seed phase.

or

B) if I can play them during the seed phase I can play them anytime?
This is an excellent question. Since I originally posted that players would only be able to report their chosen ❖ personnel after the seed phase, I am sticking with option A. However, I can see how option B might be less restrictive.

Should this tournament prove as fun as hoped, then we might consider modifying the deck constraints in future Limited tournaments in this format. What we can do is look for feedback following the tournament from the player's tournament reports for ideas how we might adjust this particular limited environment in order to improve it for the future. :cheersR:
Last edited by Latrell on Mon May 26, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:You should consider banning all 2EBC cards for this.
Stalling for Time, Under Scrutiy and to an extend Quite a coincidence are really broken. Strange New Worlds also is sure lockout. And I guess someone who is somewhat versed in 2E will find a way to break a 2EBC that is not identified so easily
WOW, just... wow. I had no idea that 2E cards could be so degenerate in this Limited format. I guess that is what I get for not playing much 2E.

You raise and excellent point Mogh, Son of Worf, though having set up the criteria for the tournament already, I am loathe to change it at this point. However, the intent of for the tournament is that it be fun, and I feel that playing against these cards could create a decidedly un-fun environment. I think it would be best to disallow 2EBC cards as some of theme do seem ridiculously abusive. I will EDIT the original post to reflect this. i appreciate your input on this brother :thumbsup:

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
Thanks for bringing this up. Yeah, that would have been an un-fun experience for everyone.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
this should probably be in the online tournament forum not the local one, people might not see it!

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
You are correct, this is a huge oversight on my part. Should I repost the whole thin in the online forum, or just post an announcement and a link to this one?

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Is there any interest from the greater area to com[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]