For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Last summer a few of us decided to try a tournament where a deck could only contain ONE UNIVERSAL PERSONNEL. The conversation lead to a tournament with the constraints listed below. I would like to try this tournament yet again.

THE RULES:
1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. The idea here is that personnel who are not the ❖ CARDNAME would not be able to report after the Seed Phase..
*Different from last time is: if personnel you seeded get returned to your hand or killed off they would be eligible to report via regular means. This means: if you collect a trio of personnel from Cryosat and they happen to die off or get placed in your hand or draw deck somehow, you would be able to report them later in game.

2) Cards that place personnel into play during the seed would be allowed. This follows from the first guideline but felt it important to be clear about it.

3) Seed deck dilemmas must conform to achievement eligibility for both "In My Day..." and "Highlander" Eligibility for this "In My Day..." is defined as Play in a sanctioned First Edition Constructed, complete card pool tournament with a deck containing dilemmas from Premiere, Alternate Universe, Q Continuum, or Shades of Gray only. Highlander achievement eligibility is defined as Play in a sanctioned First Edition tournament with a deck containing no duplicate dilemmas and 30 cards entered in the seed pile of the deck builder.

4) Kobayashi Maru Scenario and all 2EBC cards will not be eligible for use in this tournament. Some good discussion has arisen about these card, both for and against in the discussion threads. Ultimately, since this tournament is about having fun, I made the call that these cards could be abused to the point of creating an un-fun play environment based on considerations of the above deck design constraints.

I am hopeful we can get a large number of players to try what was A Fun Idea. Please see the original thread for complete information. --> viewtopic.php?f=125&t=23708

Lastly, I am open to input on the set up. What we decided on above really opened a lot of ideas and there was no clearly superior deck in the sense that so-n-so person was the best, or nigh unbeatable. That said, I realize what we have above might not be the best way to execute the tourney. To that end I hope you will voice you ideas and concerns so we can improve upon the idea we had fun with last year.
Last edited by Latrell on Sat May 16, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Okay, I had to read this a couple times to get the gist of the format. To be clear, decks for this tournament can report/download only one personnel after the seed phase, and that personnel must be ❖ . Right?

So folks aboard a Cryosatellite or seeded under Rescue Prisoners are kosher?
Last edited by CaptMDKirk on Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
that is how it worked lastime

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
That is correct. Anything in the seed phase is fair game. Last time we said the constraint is that only the ❖ personnel chosen for the deck (i.e. Suzanne Dumont) can be played following the Seed Phase. So any personnel returned to hand from say STP, or dies and is then Regenerated with the deck will not be able to be reported.

Different from last time is: if personnel you seeded get returned to your hand or killed off they would be eligible to report via regular means. This means: if you collect a trio of personnel from Cryosat and they happen to die off or get placed in your hand or draw deck somehow, you would be able to report them later in game.

This is a great question, thank you for asking it. I enjoy when ideas can get flushed out for experiments like this format before hand :)
Last edited by Latrell on Sun May 17, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Is Quantum Incursions allowed?

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
With the format being 1E converted cards (non 2EBC cards) I would have to say yes. There are a few ❖ hoser cards in 2E, which is why last time we decided not to allow them.

So, since Quantum Incursions has been fully converted to 1E I would say it is eligible for inclusion. I hope this answers your question.

Also, shameless plug time. The A Fun Idea II tournament starts next week, and I see we only have three pre-registered so far. Please sign up to play if you are interested, or tell your friends if you think they might be!
Last edited by Latrell on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latrell wrote:
Also, shameless plug time. The A Fun Idea II tournament starts next week, and I see we only have three pre-registered so far. Please sign up to play if you are interested, or tell your friends if you think they might be!
Make that four pre-registered players. 8)

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
... AND MY AXE!

no, sorry, wrong Scene. "Make that 5"

and pm about concerns

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
I propose the following Change:

"1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. The idea here is that personnel who are not the ❖ CARDNAME would not be able to report after the Seed Phase. "

to
"1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. Other personnel than the ❖ that is Chosen may not be brought into Play after the seed phase. "

That would eliminate the Option to Res-Q or persona Exchange someone or do any other shenanigans. (also, this is what your intent is anyway)
Last edited by Dunnagh on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dunnagh wrote:I propose the following Change:

"1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. The idea here is that personnel who are not the ❖ CARDNAME would not be able to report after the Seed Phase. "

to
"1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. Other personnel than the ❖ that is Chosen may not be brought into Play after the seed phase. "

That would eliminate the Option to Res-Q or persona Exchange someone or do any other shenanigans. (also, this is what your intent is anyway)
This is an interesting Idea. I just finished editing the original post (something I should have done a while ago as I made a clarification further down the page). The edit is contradictory to your suggestion, but I am open to how you all want to set up the format.

I'd like those who are registered to play to vote Yay or Nay on Andreas's suggestion as any change will possibly impact the decks you have been working on. I'll leave the voting window open until Thursday Midnight Eastern Standard time. At that time, we will see how you all want to proceed.

This is a great suggestion and I hope each of you will weigh-in on the proposed change.

Thank you.
Last edited by Latrell on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I guess I am ok with the suggestion from Dunnagh as long as we can still download in the seed phase/seed cryosat.

But now I need calcification on Kalita.

Kalita (The Maquis) vs Kalita

Are they the same or different for this tournament? Both are ❖ Kalita.
Last edited by kingmj4891 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So Cards that are the same:

Kalita (DS9) vs Kalita (the Maquis)
Jasad (DS9) vs Jasad (Emissary)
Dr Farek (Premire) vs Dr Farek (The Sky's The Limit)
Mordoc (Trouble with Tribbles) vs Mordoc (The Next Generation)

Based on the outlines given in the original post and subsequent updates, each of these pairs are all the same ❖ CARDNAME, and are treated as the same ❖ CARDNAME.

I hope than answers the questions, if I have raise more confusion, please let me know. Your Ideas are exciting to read :)
Last edited by Latrell on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Good morning everyone and welcome to the A Fun Idea II Tournament.

Before we begin I want to make a couple of points final. We had a suggestion to prohibit bringing personnel other then the ❖ CARDNAME into play after the seed phase. I opened the idea up to voting; however I am concerned that due to lack of response, not everyone is aware of the proposed change / ok with the change. Without knowing for sure if a change at this point would impact the deck of players who registered prior to the suggestion, I am going to maintain the format as out lined below. (Andreas, I plan to do another one of these in the future. We can make the format more restrictive per your suggestion in that one.)

SO... THE RULES:
1) Only one ❖ CARDNAME personnel is allowed in your draw deck or tent following the seed phase. If personnel you seeded gets returned to your hand or killed off they would be eligible to report via regular means (e.g. Regeneration or some such other card interaction). This means: if you collect a trio of personnel from Cryosat and they happen to die off or get placed in your hand or draw deck somehow, you would be able to report them later in game.

2) Cards that place personnel into play during the seed would be allowed. This follows from the first guideline but felt it important to be clear about it.

3) Seed deck dilemmas must conform to achievement eligibility for both "In My Day..." and "Highlander" Eligibility for this "In My Day..." is defined as Play in a sanctioned First Edition Constructed, complete card pool tournament with a deck containing dilemmas from Premiere, Alternate Universe, Q Continuum, or Shades of Gray only. Highlander achievement eligibility is defined as Play in a sanctioned First Edition tournament with a deck containing no duplicate dilemmas and 30 cards entered in the seed pile of the deck builder.

4) Kobayashi Maru Scenario and all 2EBC cards will not be eligible for use in this tournament. Some good discussion has arisen about these card, both for and against in the discussion threads. Ultimately, since this tournament is about having fun, I made the call that these cards could be abused to the point of creating an un-fun play environment based on considerations of the above deck design constraints.

Points of Clarification:
- Quantum Incursions is allowed.

Pairings will be up in the next few hours as I want to ensure compliance with the start time incase we have any last minute registrations.
Last edited by Latrell on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Latrell
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Good afternoon everyone,

In accordance with the Organized Play Guide, I used Random.org to generate Initial Pairings.
I did this by inputting each of our names and then asking the generator to pair by evens and odds. The results are copy pasted below:

There were 4 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1 Jon Carter vs 3 Andreas Micheel
2 Edwin Latrell vs 4 Matthew King

Timestamp: 2015-06-08 14:16:15 UTC

Additionally, as I am participating in my own tourney, I need to nominate secondary and tertiary TDs. I'd like to nominate Jon Carter as the secondary and Andreas Micheel as the tertiary If there are any objections to this please let me know, otherwise we'll go forward.

You have one week to complete your games online. As per the usual online environment, Lackey and Skype required. Please submit your results to me no later than Sunday 2359 PDT. If there is a scheduling conflict or other issue, please let me know in advance of that time.

I am really looking forward to your feedback on this tournament and the format. The best way to do this is through tournament reports, so please file one! These can be updated through out the tournament and submitted at the end of the tournament. Please let me know if there are any questions and good luck.
Last edited by Latrell on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
can we just try to schedual all of our games, as we have to play everybody?

we will use these parings to gerate the rest of the order, but does it matter (except for processing) what order we play the games in?

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]